CHAPTER FIVE: JUST FRIENDS...?

After the movie, the friends say goodbye to each other and head home for the night. Once they are alone, Alya turns to Marinette.

     "So tell me girl, how do you feel after sitting next to Adrien for an entire movie?"

     Marinette grins. "I feel amazing!" She says excitedly. "He was so adorable, getting so involved in the movie. And then our hands touched, and I thought I was going to float out of that theater!" Then her expression turns more serious. "But he actually seemed a little different, like there was something on his mind."

     "With all he's got on his plate, I'm sure he has a lot on his mind," Alya says. "He has a lot more pressure than most tenth graders do, what with being a famous model and all."

     Marinette thinks about this for a moment, and then shrugs it off. "You know, it's actually almost the anniversary of the day I met Adrien."

     "Really? It's already been a year?" Alya says.

     "Actually it's been eleven months, twenty-nine days, and eight hours, to be exact," Marinette says without skipping a beat. But when she notices Alya staring at her blankly, she chuckles embarrassedly.

     Alya laughs. "Wow, time flies by," she says.

     "Yeah, it does," Marinette agrees with a bittersweet sigh.

     Alya stares at her best friend for a few seconds, turning serious. "Can I offer some advice?" She asks finally.

     "Sure, I guess," Marinette replies.

     "Please don't freak out, but as your BFF I feel the need to say this..." She takes a deep breath, and then blurts out, "I really think you should tell Adrien how you feel."

     "Alya, I already tried," Marinette says.

     "You wrote him a poem, big whoop," Alya says. "You didn't even remember to sign it, so he had no idea who it was from."

     Marinette hangs her head. "I want to, I really do. I just... I don't know how."

     "Um, try telling him to his face," Alya says.

     Marinette scoffs. "Oh yes, because I can speak to him so well!"

     "All I'm saying is, you'd better figure it out soon. Someone like Adrien –the son of a famous fashion designer, a famous model himself– he isn't going to be available for long. In fact, it's a wonder he isn't already with someone."

     Marinette knows that Alya is right. But how is she supposed to tell Adrien something this big when she can barely form a sentence around him? "I'll think about it Alya, but for now I think I'd better be getting home," she says. "Goodnight! And thanks for organizing this night."

     "No problem," Alya replies, giving her best friend a sympathetic hug. "Goodnight!"

Adrien and his bodyguard arrive at the Agreste mansion once again, and as usual Adrien runs to his room.

     "Sooo, what was that all about tonight?" Plagg asks teasingly, coming out of Adrien's jacket pocket where he had been hiding.

     "What are you talking about?" Adrien asks.

     "You know, you and Marinette?" He gestures their hand-touching moment with his own tiny hands.

     Adrien scoffs nervously. "I don't know what you're talking about," he says. "You know that Marinette and I are just friends."

     "Suuure," Plagg continues to tease.

     "Seriously, Plagg!" Adrien says. "Besides..." He sits down at his computer and pulls up a picture of Ladybug, a dreamy expression on his face. "You know I'm in love with Ladybug."

     "Yeah, yeah... whatever," Plagg says. "Now give me some cheese!"

     Adrien gives his kwami a peace of Camembert to shut him up, and then continues gazing at the picture of Ladybug. "I just wish I knew who she was under that mask," he sighs.

     "It doesn't matter anyway," Plagg says in between chews. "Your father is going to make you date Chloe." He chuckles when he says this.

     "It isn't funny!" Adrien says. "I am not dating Chloe, no matter what my father says! I know we've known each other since we were little, but she isn't nice to anybody, especially my closest friends. That's not exactly the type of person I want to date."

     "So how are you going to get out of it?" Plagg asks. "Your father will probably punish you for not dating her, and then it'll be even harder for you to sneak out and be Cat Noir."

     Adrien groans. "I haven't thought of anything yet, but as soon as I do I'll let you know."

     Suddenly, a news report pops up on Adrien's computer. "A villain calling himself 'Nightmare' has appeared, and he is terrorizing the city of Paris, turning everyone's worst nightmares into reality!"

     "Seriously, an Akumatized victim this late?" Adrien says.

     "At least the good news is, you'll get to see your masked sweetheart," Plagg teases.

     This causes Adrien to smile. "You're right. Plagg, claws out!"