CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE: DARE

Adrien stands determinedly, staring at Hawkmoth. "I'm her son," he repeats, "and your son too."

     Hawkmoth is frozen in place, his mouth agape. He drops his staff in surprise, and continues to stare at Adrien.

     Adrien takes the opportunity to rush over to Ladybug. He uses all his strength to shove the chandelier off of her, with Plagg doing his best to help too, and cradles her in his arms. Slowly, she opens her eyes.

     "A-Adrien?" She whispers, surprised to see him back in his normal form.

     "Shh, it's okay," he says, holding out his ring in his hand to show her that he still has it.

     Hawkmoth watches the scene before him, still too shocked to move. Adrien helps Ladybug stand up, and turns to face his father once again. Plagg sits on his shoulder supportively.

     "What are you going to do now?" Adrien says. "You still want our Miraculouses so badly?"

     Hawkmoth stares at Adrien for a moment longer, and then glances up at the portrait of his wife. Without saying another word, he releases the house from lockdown mode, runs out of his office, and out the front door.

     Ladybug transforms back to her normal self, and holds Adrien's hand. "Where do you think he's going?" She asks.

     "I'm not sure," Adrien replies sadly. "But we still weren't able to get his Miraculous..."

A couple weeks later, Alya approaches Marinette at school.

      "Hey girl," she says sheepishly.

     Marinette is surprised, considering it's the first time Alya has spoken to her since their argument. "Hi," she says with an unsure wave.

     Alya sighs. "I just wanted to say, I'm really sorry for talking to you like that. I mean, like, really really sorry."

     "So... you're not mad anymore?" Marinette asks.

     "Well, I'm still a little disappointed that you didn't tell me," Alya admits. "But I did a lot of thinking, and I understand why you did it."

     Marinette smiles. "Best friends again?"

     "Always," Alya says, wrapping Marinette in a tight hug. "And don't worry, your secret is completely safe with me!" She pats Marinette's purse, and winks at Tikki.

     After they release from their hug, Marinette notices Nathaniel sitting on a bench a few feet away. He is watching her sadly, but when he notices she sees him he glances down at his notepad and begins to scribble in it furiously.

     "I still feel really bad for Nathaniel," Marinette says.

     Alya nods in agreement, when suddenly they hear Kim and Alix shouting at each other.

     "This is the lamest dare you have ever come up with!" Alix says.

     "What, you too scared to do it?" Kim taunts. "You gonna be a little baby about it?"

     "I am not a baby!" Alix shouts angrily.

     "Prove it," Kim says. "Or, you can always forfeit."

     "What are they arguing about?" Marinette asks.

     "Another stupid dare," Alya replies. "From what I understand, Kim dared Alix to kiss any boy in the school of her choosing. If she doesn't do it, she has to do his homework for an entire month!"

     "I never forfeit a dare!" Alix shouts. She glances around her, then suddenly runs up to Nathaniel and plants an aggressive kiss on his lips. He drops his notepad in utter shock, his face nearly as red as his hair. Alix stares in surprise, too, rubbing the back of her neck embarrassedly.

     Marinette and Alya's mouths are both agape, but then Alya starts to laugh. "Something tells me that boy will be just fine," she says as Nathaniel runs off and Alix chases after him.

     A few seconds later, Adrien walks up. "Marinette, can I talk to you for a minute?" He says, looking glum.

     "I'll see you later," Alya says, waving goodbye as she walks away.

     "Is everything okay?" Marinette asks, a worried expression on her face.

     "No, not really," Adrien replies. "Today is my last day of school here..."

     "What? But why?" Marinette asks.

     Adrien looks down at the ground sadly. "My father is still missing," he says. "So with my mother gone, and no other family to take care of me, they're putting me in the foster system."

     Marinette's eyes begin to fill with tears. "No, they can't do that!" She says. "There's no telling where you'll end up."

     "I know," Adrien says sadly. "But there isn't anything I can do about it. Trust me, I tried." He holds both of her hands in his. "Please come over after school. I want to spend as much time as possible with you before I have to leave tomorrow."

     Marinette nods as a tear strolls down her cheek. Adrien wipes it away gently, and the two share an embrace that they wish would never end.