CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO: ARGUMENT

"What was that about?" Adrien asks as he and Marinette head outside the school.

     Marinette glances around to make sure no one else is listening. Then she leans closer and whispers, "Alya knows."

     "Knows what?" Adrien asks. But when he sees the severeness on Marinette's face, it hits him. "You mean...?"

     "Yeah," Marinette says with a worried sigh.

     "But how?" Adrien says.

     "Well, um..." Marinette rubs the back of her head. "Let's just say, we act a little too much like our superhero counterparts sometimes."

     Adrien thinks for a second. "It's because I kissed your hand, isn't it?"

     Marinette doesn't respond, but her facial expression says it all.

     "Oh no," Adrien says. "So, uh, how'd she take it?"

     "Pretty hard," Marinette admits. "I'm not sure what's going to happen now."

     "What do you mean? You think she might actually tell people who we really are?"

     "Nothing like that, no," Marinette says. "More like... I'm not sure if she wants to be friends anymore."

     "But that's crazy," he says. "She's your best friend! And she totally idolizes Ladybug. If anything, she should think this is seriously awesome."

     "You didn't see her, Adrien," Marinette says. "She was really mad that I never told her... And I mean really, really mad."

      Adrien places a loving hand on her shoulder. "I'm sure you'll work things out."

     "You really think so?" Marinette asks.

     "I know so," Adrien says with a charming smile.

     Marinette returns the smile, and stands on the tips of her toes to give him a kiss.

     Once the kiss is finished, Tikki comes back out. "Alya is in a lot more danger now," she says. "If the wrong person ever found out that she knows the secret identities of Ladybug and Cat Noir..."

     "I don't even want to think about that," Marinette says.

     "I'm just saying, from now on you two need to keep a closer eye on Alya."

     "No problem," Adrien says. "We'll kind of be like her personal bodyguards."

     "Great, more work!" Plagg whines, coming out of Adrien's jacket.

     Adrien rolls his eyes, and Marinette chuckles. "Then we'll just have to give you extra cheese for your hard work," she says.

     Plagg smiles. "I like this girl!" He says. "She's a keeper!"

     "You like anyone who will give you cheese," Tikki says teasingly. "Hawkmoth could give you cheese and you'd love him!"

     Plagg pretends to be offended, but then the four of them burst into laughter. They laugh together, enjoying just being there with each other, until Adrien's ride pulls up.

     "I'm in so much trouble... again," he says as Nathalie and his bodyguard get out of the car and begin to come towards him.

     "I've got your back," Marinette says with a smile.

     Nathalie walks up to Adrien. "Your father is furious," she tells him.

     "What else is new?" Adrien mumbles under his breath. He turns to Marinette, gives her a gentle kiss on top of her head, and then hops in the car with Nathalie. He rolls down the window, and waves sadly to Marinette as his bodyguard pulls the car away from the school.

Back at home, Adrien is disheartened to discover his father waiting for him.

     "Why do you continue to rebel?" Gabriel shouts. "Where is my son? I did not raise you to be a hooligan."

     "Father, I don't think I'm asking for too much," Adrien retorts. "All I want is to go to school, hang out with my friends, and date my girlfriend!"

     "You are my son, and you will adhere to my rules!" Gabriel says.

     "You keep saying that like being your son is some great thing," Adrien says. "But it isn't from where I'm standing!"

     Gabriel slams an angry fist down on the banister. "I am sick of this, Adrien! I am sick of you misbehaving. And I am sick of not getting what I want!"

     "Well I'm sick of not getting what I want too," Adrien says. "But I guess we can't all get what we want, can we?"

     Gabriel growls. "Not only will you be locked in your room, but I will personally make sure that your windows are nailed down!" He begins to stomp up the stairs.

     "What?!" Adrien shouts. "You can't do that! I won't be a prisoner!" When Gabriel no longer responds, Adrien begins to chase after him. "Please, don't do this!"

     "As your father, I will do what I please," Gabriel says, but continues to walk away from his son.

     "Father, just listen!" Adrien pleads, reaching out to grab something –anything– that will make him stop. The first thing he grabs is his dad's tie, and when he does this Gabriel instantly spins around to face him.

     "Do not touch my tie," Gabriel says gravely, jerking his tie from Adrien's grasp and straightening it back out. But not before Adrien spots something underneath it...

     "What is that brooch you have on under your tie?" Adrien asks, fear beginning to course through him.

     "It's nothing," Gabriel says, growing angrier. "You needn't stick your nose in where it doesn't belong!"

     But Adrien knows it isn't 'nothing.' He has seen that brooch before, in the book he discovered in his father's safe that mysteriously disappeared. Hawkmoth's brooch? But... it couldn't be. Not my father!

     Before Gabriel can say anything more, Adrien rushes to his room as fast as he can. He locks his door behind him, and pulls out his phone. "This can't be happening, this can't be happening..." He keeps repeating to himself as he calls Marinette.

     "Are you positive you saw Hawkmoth's brooch on him?" Plagg asks as the phone dials.

     "I don't know Plagg," Adrien replies. "But if that is what I saw, then we are in deep trouble."

     "Hello?" Marinette answers sweetly.

     "I think we might have an emergency," Adrien tells her. "You have to get to my house, ASAP!"