Twenty-One: Questions

"A dream is a wish your heart makes when you're fast asleep." - Disney

The morning passes by slowly and the feelings I felt from the dream are still bouncing around inside of me. Even as I'm sitting there in the kitchen munching on some bagel, I realize I'm chewing pretty violently. I'm not even that hungry, just sort of, pissed. It's silly, yeah, it was a dream, I know! But still, the images of them together are just making me sick and what's worse is that it's totally possible.

Not only is Annabelle popular, beautiful, and whatever else, she's also devious. All she has to do is set her sights on a boy and before you know it, they're hers. Even if she has to lie and steal her way to his heart, she gets there. It's frightening really, especially for other girls who have attractive boyfriends. For me though, it's downright terrifying. Especially considering I don't even understand what Caleb sees in me, but I can clearly see what he would see in her.

If Annabelle and I were competing for Caleb's heart in a beauty pageant, she's win by a landslide. Though, I may beat her out in a witty debate? Oh, wow, that's a bread-winner. So what if Caleb does see Annabelle in a new way, then he'll just dump me like last week garbage and I'll move on with my life. So why the hell does the thought of that make my stomach knot?

I no longer have an appetite at all and toss the rest of the bagel in the trash- waste not want not, so I won't be having a big lunch today either. My mind is racing as I gather my things to leave in a haze, Carl will be here soon enough, I might as well wait outside. As I wait, I keep thinking about that damn dream and can only hope with all my heart it never comes true. It's more like a nightmare really.

Carl pulls up soon enough and I solemnly. Carl picks up on my mood instantly, questioning me with his eyes. I shoot him a look that says don't talk about it since a certain someone is in the backseat, smiling widely at me. He hasn't picked up on my mood, since he hasn't been around me long enough I guess, but it still pisses me off for no good reason.

"Morning, beautiful," Caleb greets, leaning forward from behind me and planting a sweet little kiss on my cheek. I try my best to smile nicely and turn to look at him. Bad move. Something twists in my stomach and my smile drops right from my face. Actually, I'm pretty sure it turns into an all out glare.

"Oh boy," Carl says under his breath and puts the gear shift into drive.

Caleb just looks downright confused, I can't blame him really, but I don't feel like looking at him anymore so with a huff I turn in my seat to face forward. My boyfriend says nothing and neither does my best friend. I'm glad, too, I need my space this morning.

Once we pull into school I'm about ready to get out first and make a dash for the entrance, since I don't feel like talking about my strange behaviour. Basically I'm going for an emotional hit and run. Caleb won't have it though, or Carl apparently, since he locks the door and Caleb grabs my arm as I move to open the door, keeping me in place.

"Out with it," Carl states knowing I know what he means.

Caleb still holds my arm, but lightly, as to not hurt me I guess. It's not so much a hold anymore actually, he's just touching my arm almost carefully, like he's comforting me. This contact distracts me momentarily and I struggle to regain my composure. I'm still freakishly angry, but they're going to think I'm being stupid, which makes me more angry at this point.

I don't say anything to Carl, I just flicker my eyes at Caleb and look back at him. Thanks to years of experience, he understands perfectly and nods. He pulls the keys out of the ignition, pops the trunk and says casually,

"I'll let you two have a moment then," and exits the vehicle.

The car falls deathly silent and I can feel Caleb looking at me, his gaze is bearing into the side of my head. Meanwhile I'm staring straight ahead to where Carl left from and images from my dream play over and over and over again across my vision- so much so to the point that I find myself biting back tears.