Twenty-Six: Apologies |Caleb|

"The beauty of a woman must be seen from in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides." - Audrey Hepburn

Damn I'm hungry.

Wiping off my greasy hands on my oil covered jean, I stand up from behind the car I'm working on and make my way over to the boss's office with the hopes of getting an extended break so I can grab some dinner down at Elena's father's diner.

I haven't seen Elena in almost a week and it's been terrible.

When I saw her last in the hospital it broke my heart and I just wanted to hold her and make all the pain go away, but I couldn't even do that since when I held her, it made all the pain only worse. She's seemed pretty closed up since the accident and I'm not sure if I should give her her space or be there for her. In the meantime I've been making trips to the city to clear my head and visit old friends. They keep telling me it's normal for her to react this way, but I don't know. I feel like I'm missing something.

"Hey, Duke, can I catch a longer break and run out for dinner?" I ask quickly, only popping my head in the door to see my boss leaning over at his desk working intensely on some paperwork.

"Sure, sure," he motions at me with his head and waves his pen at me.

"Thanks," I call as I sprint out of the garage and hop in my car. Hopefully if I eat quickly enough I can stop by Elena's house and see how she's doing. She hasn't even called me so I have no idea how she's doing. I've tried asking Carl, but he doesn't seem to notice what's wrong.

Plus, there's something I really need to talk to her about.

See, I found some things out about her so called "friends" Jason and Annabelle. The other day, Annabelle tried coming on to me and I told her no, but she didn't take it so nicely. Then she went and told Jason I tried coming on to her! So now I'm thinking Elena might hear and believe them since they're friends, and I don't want her having the wrong idea about me.

I feel like I've been pulled into some Junior drama and it bugs me, but I guess that's what I get for falling for a girl one year younger than me. Elena's worth it, that's all I can say.

I make it to the diner in good time so I plan to just run in and out so I can get to Elena's. Turns out I don't have to though as I'm graced with the presense of my girl, in her cute uniform and apron. She's facing away and is back at the far booth- then I see them- crap, maybe I'm too late. Ignoring the sign telling me to wait to be seated, I rush to where they are. Jason sees me first and smirks.

"Caleb," he greets, but I ignore him.

"Elena, can we talk?" I place my hand gently on her shoulder and nudge to turn her, but she resists. My eyebrow quirks and I try again, but she fights it again.

Annabelle snorts and slams her iced water down, covering her mouth as if something is hysterical. Jason laughs too and pretty soon all four of them are in fits. What the hell? Elena is stock still, but I feel her shaking a little, as if she's afraid or something.

"What, Caleb? You don't want me, but you'll take this freak?" Annabelle jeers and winks at me laughing melodically. I glare at her and Jason sobers up a little.

"Yeah, what? You weren't happy with your own freak so you had to come after mine?" Jason asks sarcastically, but I smirk at his choice of words. They're gonna bite him in the ass in one... two... three...

"Freak?" Annabelle shreaks.

Elena runs out from under my hand and throws her notepad and pen behind her as she goes, it hits me in the chest. Jason and Annabelle go at it while their friends hide behind their drinks. I decide they're no longer worth my time and chase after what really matters to me. As I fly out the door the cold hair hits my face and I see her getting away, her dress just a glimpse of yellow in the dark now.