Twenty- Four: Visitations

"If there is no struggle, there is no progress." - Frederick Douglass

I've been in the hospital for almost a week.

Apparently I was in a car accident involving my car and an SUV, the other vehicle drove into the side of the car I was on, directly into my driver's side door; I can't be sure though since I don't remember a moment of it. Don't worry, I remember almost everything before that. Just not anything that happened in the accident and after and supposedly a little before.

For instance I have no idea where I was actually going. My father claims I was headed for Caleb's house? But what reason would I have for being out at that time of night- or day- in that kind of weather? It doesn't make sense to me and I'm thinking my dad had it wrong.

Anyway, Caleb's been to visit me twice this week. The first time I was unconcious though, so I guess it doesn't count? The second time was last night, he brought me flowers and showered me with compliments- I'm guessing since I pretty much look trashed. I mean, I haven't gotten out of bed to look in the mirror, but I can feel weird stuff on my face when I touch it so I'm guessing there's some scarring action going on. At this point I don't really care, I know I'm not the best looking thing.

The thought of that causes my head to hurt. It reminds me of something, but I don't rememebr what it is. It kills me not to make the connection, but I just let it go. The doctor said that's just one of the perks of mild amnesia, but I'm lucky nothing worse happened to me. I don't know the details, but obviously I was pretty lucky.

Though not the same could be said for my face I suppose. I'm almost afraid to see it though.

Now I'm chowing on some marvelous hospital food, flavorless beans and dry chicken- yum, my favorite. Caleb and Carl will be over sometime later in the afternoon and my Dad just left, he's been here most of the time so I told him to go home and get himself some rest. Plus he has to keep up the diner. He seems really upset though and I'm usually the one comforting him.

I'm really dying to see Carl.

I'm hoping maybe he can help me clear up what happened that night. Plus, there's nothing like a best friend to make you laugh when you feel like crap. I feel like I haven't smiled on five days and that's not good. Sure I smile a little when Caleb is here, but he's so damn broken up it brings me down right with him. Of course I love him being there, he holds my hand and stays by me all the time and speckles my cheeks with kisses. He tells me I'm the most beautiful girl he's ever seen and that he's sorry this happened to me.

Of course I melt inside when he says all that stuff, but I just need Carl. He's always been the one who picked me up when I was down and really need him to be here now. Sadly he hasn't been able to come til today, because his car has been giving him trouble so it was in the shop. Caleb couldn't come, because he was out of town visiting friends in the city.

Which means if my dad was right, he wasn't even home, and I was headed for his house for no reason. Unless he left after. I'm not even sure anymore, everything is just so jumbled.

As my five star dinner comes to an end, thankfully, Carl and Caleb walk through the door. I'm in the bed closer to the door, my roommate is on the otherside of the drawn curtain dividing the room. He's an older man who fell in his bathtub, thankfully it wasn't fatal. He's a quiet man though who likes his privacy, so we keep the curtain respectively drawn at all times. I don't mind, but honestly it can get a little lonely.

"Boo-bear!" Carl shouts as he prances over to the bed and plops down next to me, pulling me into the biggest hug I've ever received. I squeal in a pain, but try to disguise it as joy. He doesn't buy it though and instantly lets me go which then allows me to fall back into my pillow.