Part 8 - Aftermath

Samantha

I found Randa seated on a hay bale noshing on a plate of high class finger foods, and realized how hungry I was. The champagne was making me light-headed, so I grabbed a few teeny tiny quiches from the plate and scarfed them down.

"So?" she asked.

I wanted to tell her everything. I wanted a second opinion from a somewhat disinterested party to tell me I wasn't blowing the conversation all out of proportion. But I also knew that Harry had placed his trust in me, and it wouldn't take much to destroy that thin connection were we beginning to form.

"He said if I wanted more work in the polo yard he would pass my name around. And he offered me some champagne."

Randa looked skeptical. "He couldn't have that conversation in the barn? And why champagne?"

I shrugged. "How am I supposed to know what goes on in the mind of someone like that? Maybe he ducked in the box because he was tired of everyone looking at him. And I think he only offered the champagne because he'd already opened the bottle." Some of my story was true, and I hoped the rest of it was at least a plausible fiction. "Are you ready to go? You promised me real food and a beer, and I am starving."

Randa held up the plate and we quickly devoured the snacks. As we climbed in the taxi, Randa grumbled, "I still think there's something you're not telling me."

"Really, there isn't anything interesting to tell," I said.

And if there was, I couldn't tell you anyway.