Part 92 - The Royal Non-Wedding, Part 2

Samantha

I did have a smile on my face when people began knocking softly at the door an hour later.

"Time's up," Harry said, drawing me in for one last snuggle.

"You know, there's still time for us to sneak out the back and go for a ride instead," I said.

"We have years ahead of us to ride and hunt and do all those things we want to do," he said. "Do you remember the first time I met you at the Sleeping Lion?"

I nodded. "It was technically our first date...although I don't think we realized it at the time."

"I knew," Harry said. "Not when I first sat down, but when you somehow got me to admit what I really wanted to do. When I saw in your eyes that you understand me, that you accept me...like no one else ever has...I knew I was going to have to make some changes in my life. But it was worth it. You're worth it."

We kissed, much more freely and romantically than we had that winter evening in the pub. Had it only been six months ago? It was a lifetime ago...the beginning of a lifetime.

"But for now," he said, breaking the kiss reluctantly, "let's make my grandmother and the wedding ladies happy for a few hours."

Harry retired to another room to dress while the bedroom and adjoining parlor began to fill up with people. Soon the room was busy with women carrying in flowers and garment bags. One entire wall panel was taken up with lengths and puddles of ice blue silk and damask so pale they were almost white—my non-wedding dress. One of the ladies brought me a hand-embroidered dressing gown, patterned on one worn by Queen Victoria. I slipped it on and sat down, resigning myself to being fussed over for a while.

The door opened a crack and then wider. "I know I'm not supposed to be in here but I thought you might like to see a friendly face."

"Randa!" I squealed in delight and started to get up but the makeup artist stopped me with a hand on my shoulder. I had to settle for a semi-hug as Randa leaned over me, smelling of horses.

"You've been down to the stables," I said.

"Yes, and they made me take off my boots outside—outside the castle! I had to walk the 18 kilometers of corridors in my socks." She looked down at her mismatched socks with a sorrowful face and we both laughed.

"How's Driz?" I asked.

"She had a lovely bath and hoof polish pedicure yesterday and amazingly managed not to lay down in manure overnight, so my job this morning is much easier. I'm off to braid her tail in a moment but I wanted to come and see you."

"I'm surprised they even let you in."

"Me too, but they called up and HRH your husband told them it was okay."

I could not respond because the makeup artist was dusting my face with a poofy paintbrush full of powder. Randa said, "Well, I should go and leave you to it."

"I feel like a show horse," I muttered.

"Just don't kick anybody. Or bite," she advised. "It's only a couple of hours and then you can party it up with your friends and family."

"You'll be there, won't you? At the reception?" I asked, turning towards her and causing the makeup artist to tsk tsk under her breath.

"Of course I will. Wouldn't miss the chance to party with the toffs for anything! I've got my fancy dress and heels all ready." Randa hugged me again, fiercely, and whispered, "You can do this. Just smile and be yourself. And if anyone says anything snarky to you just repeat to yourself 'I married a prince and you didn't so bugger off.'"