Part 55 - Business in London

Meg

She arrived in London on an early flight but did not go straight to Nottingham Cottage, where she lived with Prince Harry. Instead, she took a taxi to the Connaught Hotel in Mayfair and checked herself into one of the best rooms.

She called down to the concierge and requested that copies of all the papers be sent to her room and booked an appointment at the spa. She settled in, nibbled some fruit and chocolate, and poured herself a glass of wine while she read the latest royal gossip.

Meg unpacked her carry-on and laid out her weapons for the day—a fountain pen and a sheaf of exceptionally high quality cranberry-colored stationary. Her distinctive handwriting flowed across the paper as she wrote letter after letter.

When she finished, she slipped the letters into their envelopes and sealed them with gold sealing wax. Meg smiled, knowing that the recipients would appreciate the old-fashioned grandeur. With her best calligraphy, she addressed the envelopes:

Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, Buckingham Palace

His Highness Prince Charles, Prince of Wales, Clarence House

As her personal assistant scurried off to deliver the letters, Meg reclined on the bed and opened her laptop. The language of the email she wrote was considerably less formal than the handwritten ones, and she signed the email with the name of her personal assistant. It was addressed to a freelance reporter she had become friendly with, and the subject line read: More News about M & H—are you interested?