Part 19 - Advice at Anmer Hall - Part 2

Prince Harry

Anmer Hall - December 23, 2017

"Catherine doesn't like Meg?" I asked, feeling bad now that I had sort of pushed Meg to stay with her so we could escape the house. "But Catherine's always so nice to her."

"Catherine is polite," Will said. "She knows how to get along with people and look friendly. You might be surprised what comes out of her mouth when we're alone."

Now I was curious. "What does she say about Meg?"

Will demurred. "Ah, I don't really want to say anything bad about the woman who may become my sister-in-law after all."

"Come on. You have to tell me. I need to know what you and Catherine are seeing in her. I'm not exactly an unbiased judge of Meg's character."

William looked like it pained him to discuss this, and he probably wished he hadn't said anything about it. "Catherine says Meg seems somewhat...focused on getting married. Not really on your relationship, but on the end result. Like it's...a goal of hers. And it bothers her that whenever you are out together Meg is always clutching at your arm or your hand, like she's...staking a claim. Showing you off."

I nodded. It bugged me too, but I couldn't very well shake her off in public. Like Catherine, I was raised to be polite—especially in front of the press.

"And she seems determined to do her own thing, like she doesn't care about tradition at all. Almost like...she's just waiting to be able to use her position to advance her own agenda." Will saw my look and shook his head. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said anything."

"No, you're right. And they are all things I've thought as well."

There it was, out in the open now. I was glad I had brought this up with Will, because when it came down to it, it was our family's honor and pride and reputation that was at stake. We knew—had always known—that the people we brought into the family circle had to be very, very special. There wasn't much room for errors in judgment.

"So what will you do now?" Will asked, looking back at the house.

"I'm not sure," I admitted. "I mean, I do feel something for Meg. I do...love her...I think. I didn't propose out of sheer idiocy." Although sometimes it did feel like it. "Like you said...on the outside she seems to be the one who would make a good royal wife. She knows how to work a crowd and handle public pressure. And Gran likes her."

"Gran wants you to be happy. And if you tell her that Meg isn't making you happy, she will understand, believe me. She doesn't want any more divorces in this family and no more embarrassment. Only happy grandkids and great-grandkids."

"It's not that Meg never makes me happy. It's just...does she make me happy enough? Or would someone else make me happier?"

"What's the earthy girl do for a living? Is she a peer?" Will asked.

I laughed. "She's an artist from Canada. And a polo groom."

Will had to laugh also. "Well, at least she and Granny would have something in common to talk about."

I sighed. "I don't want to sound totally cold and calculating, but I don't think I can make a decision. Not yet. I need more time. I need to get to know Samantha better."

We started walking again, heading in a roundabout way back to the house. "So Samantha knows about Meg. About your engagement.

"Yes."

"And she's okay with that?"

My mind went back to our conversation in the pub. "I think we're on the same page. We want to get to know each other better and see what happens." And then what? I asked myself, my mind racing ahead. Would someone like Sam even be interested in marrying a prince? But I couldn't think like that, couldn't plan that far ahead. I had to take baby steps. We had to see whether we would even get on together...whether the tiny spark that I felt between us would flare up into something more passionate.

And Will named the great conundrum that was bothering me. "So what do you do about Meg? You have to tell her something. It isn't fair to her, you know."

"I know." I sighed. "But before I say anything to her, I have to talk to Gran."

Will made a face. "That's not going to be a pleasant conversation, especially over the holidays."

"I know. Maybe I should wait until after the holidays? I could drive up for a few days in the new year and have a long private talk with her. See what she thinks."

"I wouldn't tell her about Samantha."

"No," I agreed. That would be the worst thing I could do, and would probably ruin any chance I might have of introducing Sam to Granny at a later date. My grandmother was very traditional and somewhat old-fashioned, and she would not be happy to know that I was thinking about seeing someone while engaged to someone else. "But I can tell Gran that I'm having second thoughts about Meg, and about the wedding in general."

"Yes, you'd better. She'll have to know you're thinking about calling off the wedding before there are too many plans made and too much money spent. But I'd wait until after Christmas." Will nibbled at his lower lip. "Any chance you could send Meg back to the city without you, and stay here an extra day?"

"Maybe," I said thoughtfully. "I'll have to work on it."

We were approaching Anmer Hall from the other side, and through the window I saw the children waving at us, all smiles and excitement.

For a moment I felt a rush of envy and desire. This was what I wanted. A home. Children. A wife to love and support me, a wife that I could trust absolutely. And a little fun and adventure in my life. That wasn't too much to ask, was it? Normal people could have these things. Why couldn't I?

"Thanks for listening to me," I said, before we walked into the house. "It's really helped me sort out my thoughts."

Will smiled. "Any time. I have to play the big brother sometimes, you know? Or I'll forget how."

I laughed, and he joined in. The door opened and the children ran out. I scooped Charlotte up, putting her on my shoulders and galloping around the lawn like a horse run wild, losing myself for just a while in her happy childish squeals.