Part 76 - Surprised and Tongue-Tied

Harry

It wasn't much of a honeymoon, only a couple of days and amazing nights. But I headed back to London Sunday afternoon ready to tackle all the legal wrangling to come.

I was not looking forward to facing Meg again, knowing that she would probably have one last tear-filled plea for reconciliation, or an angry challenge full of threats, or—more likely—both. But now I had several aces up my sleeve: proof that Meg was not pregnant, proof that she had tried to bribe the OB/GYN, audio proof that she had threatened Sam and tried to blackmail her, and the knowledge that no one could force me to marry Meg, under any circumstances.

It felt like a huge weight had been lifted from my shoulders. I knew that there were people who would say I was crazy, marrying Sam when we had only known each other for four months, but I knew it was the right thing for me to do.

Now I just had to clear the last few obstacles out of the way so that we could acknowledge our relationship publicly and begin our lives together. I could face anything with Sam by my side.

I slept on the plane and we landed at Heathrow around 7am on Monday. My appointment with the barrister was at 3pm, and I was hoping for a bit of down time before that, but Colin phoned while I was in the car on the way home.

"Hope you're well rested," he said.

I groaned. "What now?"

"You've been summoned to BP. Her Majesty wants to talk to you. Pretty sure your father will be there too."

I said a few choice words. "Of course she does. When?"

"ASAP."

"Do I at least have time to grab a shower and change clothes?" I growled.

"If you're quick about it. I'll have everything ready for you when you get here."

"Thanks. And make sure there is coffee and some bacon."

"Will do, Your Royal Highness."

An hour later I was on my way to Buckingham Palace, showered, shaved, and dressed in a fresh suit. This was going to be one hell of a day, but I kept closing my eyes and picturing Sam and I exchanging vows in the little garden in Vancouver. This was all going to be worth it. She was worth it.

My father and grandmother were already waiting in one of the audience rooms when I arrived. I paid the proper courtesies to both and gave my granny a kiss on the cheek.

This time around there was no tea or pleasant small talk. The Queen jumped right in.

"I'm sure you know why we're here this morning," she said.

"I'm guessing it has to do with my meeting with the barrister this afternoon," I said, taking a seat on one of the white couches. It was uncomfortable and the upholstery was pristine—I don't think the Queen let very many people actually sit down in her presence.

"Your grandmother and I think it is best if we decide on the most appropriate course of action now, between the three of us," my father said.

"It seems that we have a large problem on our hands," the Queen said in a no-nonsense tone. There was no judgment in her voice, just an acknowledgment of the problem and the need for a solution. It was the same tone of voice she would use if one of the dogs made a mess on the floor that needed cleaning up.

"I've taken the liberty of sharing some of the more...egregious evidence...with your grandmother," my father told me.

"It seems I owe you an apology, Harry," my grandmother said. "You came to me with concerns about Meg some months ago and I did not take your concerns seriously enough. I'm sorry."