Part 81 - The Queen Has A Word...or Two

Harry

I felt Sam tense as the Queen suggested she go look at the gardens with Camilla. Sam probably wasn't too interested in the gardens, especially since it was early spring and not much was in bloom, but Camilla was warm and friendly and could draw conversation out of anyone, so I knew Sam would not be uncomfortable for long. I gave Sam an encouraging look, and she nodded.

"I would love to look at the gardens, thank you, Ma'am, and hear more about the Beaufort hunt," Sam said. Camilla smiled at her, and together the two crossed the room, heads already together in horsey talk before they reached the door.

As the door closed behind them I looked at the Queen and waited for her to speak. She waited too, as if she was wanting me to confess something, which I was determined not to do. So I gave her an innocent look as if I had no idea what she was determined to discuss with me.

At long last the Queen said, "Samantha seems to be a very nice girl," as if Sam and I were still teenagers, and I hid a smile. "Very down to earth," she continued.

"I'm sure she and Camilla will get on famously," I said. "By the time they come back in they will probably have made a date to go to Highgrove and see the horses."

"Yes, she and Camilla have a lot in common," the Queen agreed. After a thoughtful pause she said, "You two seem to be very happy together."

"I am happier than I ever have been," I said, honestly, and waited for my grandmother to get to the crux of the matter.

"Her rings are quite lovely," the Queen said finally, "although I did not think I would ever see a woman wearing my grandfather's ring."

"My father gifted it to me years ago," I said, trying not to be defensive, "and I wanted Sam to have something of mine to wear. Besides, it looks good on her. She's not the...fussy type."

"Yes, she wears it well," the Queen said evenly, "although I did not think that such an heirloom would pass out of the family."

"Shall I ask for it back?" I said, hoping the anger that was building didn't show on my face or in my voice.

"That won't be necessary," the Queen said primly. "I was merely wondering if you gifted it to her because she is becoming like family to you."

I took a deep breath. "Being with Samantha is like coming home, Granny. I want to spend the rest of my life with her. We would like your blessing on our marriage."

"I believe the diamond came out of a ring that belonged to your mother," the Queen continued, unruffled. "In its new setting it has the look of an engagement ring."

The statement was loaded. I knew it.

"I told you earlier that I intended to marry Samantha," I said carefully.

"With my approval?" The Queen made it a question.

"You and I both know that I am required to have your approval to marry," I said, keeping my voice low with great effort.

She folded her hands in her lap and looked at me. She was dressed like a grandmother, casual and relaxed, but the look she gave me was that of the Queen.

"Would you like to tell me about your trip to Vancouver?" she asked.

She knew.

However she had found out, she knew that Sam and I were already married. Because, of course, you can't keep anything from the Queen, who has an army of staff to keep track of everything, including my whereabouts.