Part 59 - An Ace Up My Sleeve?

Harry

Eugenie shut the door behind Samantha and turned to me, a sparkle in her eyes. "Well, Harry!"

I waited.

She waited.

"What do you think?" I asked finally.

"She's a very talented seamstress. And her clothes are very unique. I can't believe she hasn't been picked up by some boutique."

I crossed my arms and leaned against the wall. "Yes, but what do you think about her?"

"She's pretty. She's smart and funny when you get her to open up."

"Do you like her?" I pressed.

"I like her just fine. But really, Harry, what are your plans with her? I mean, it's obvious you two are...involved."

"And she is smitten with you," Jack said with a laugh.

"How could she not be?" Eugenie said. "But I think that the smiting goes both ways. Didn't you see all the little looks he was giving her?" she asked Jack, and laughed. To me she said, "And don't think I didn't notice that she's wearing George V's ring on a chain. You're serious about her, aren't you?"

"I want to spend the rest of my life with her," I said.

Jack raised his eyebrows, but Eugenie forged ahead, as I knew she would. "Officially or unofficially?"

"I intend to marry her."

Eugenie pursed her lips. "Well then. She's still shy and unsure of herself around you. The press will eat her alive. She's going to have to toughen up a bit and learn how to give the press what they want without letting them have too much, if she's going to be one of us."

"But what about Meg?" Jack asked.

"Well it's obvious he'll be breaking off his engagement, isn't it?" Eugenie said.

"If the Queen will let me," I growled. "She thinks Meg is pregnant."

They both stared at me.

"Is she?" Eugenie asked.

"If she is, the baby isn't mine. I can almost guarantee it. I'm not an idiot, you know. Plus, up until now, Meg has been very adamant that she wanted to wait until after we were married to start a family. She wants to look slim for the cameras on her wedding day."

Eugenie laughed. "Of course she does! I've been working out like crazy, and our wedding isn't until October. I think."

"Can the Queen force you to marry Meg?" Jack asked, and from the look on his face I knew he was still very intimidated by his soon-to-be grandmother-in-law. "Don't you have any choice in the matter at all?"

"Technically, she can refuse to give her consent for him to marry someone other than Meg. Harry is still fifth in line to the throne. And even after Catherine has her baby, he'll still be sixth in line."

"Unless Catherine's having twins," Jack said, trying to make a joke.

"There is one way to force the Queen's hand," Eugenie said thoughtfully, "although I wouldn't want to try it. You'd have to be absolutely positive Meg isn't carrying your child, but the Queen is going to force you to marry her anyway."

"And what's that?" I asked, curious.

"The Queen can't force you to marry Meg...if you're already married to someone else."

Eugenie's words continued to bounce in my head as I walked the short distance between our homes. The Queen can't force you to marry Meg...if you're already married to someone else.

What if I married Sam in secret? What if we eloped and told no one? If the Queen relented and gave consent to our marriage, we could have a ceremony anyway. It wouldn't matter when the legal part of the marriage was done.

Already being married to Sam would be an ace in my pocket. With that knowledge, I would be certain that I would not get forced to marry against my will.

But how angry would the Queen be if she found out? What would she do to me—and to Sam—if I had to tell her that we were already married, that we'd gone against her wishes? Would we be banished, like Edward and Wallis? Sent off in scandal to live outside the royal circle? Would the Queen take away my titles and income?

No. I wasn't weak like Edward. I would figure out a way to keep my life and my titles and marry the woman I wanted. I was going to have it all, including the happily-ever-after ending.

The dogs did not meet me when I came in the house as they usually did. As I walked into the sitting room, I discovered why.

Meg crossed the room to greet me, a warm smile on her face. "There you are. Welcome home."