Part 32 - In the Polo Yard

Samantha

Right after the new year I began my new job working for Mr. Coster. Or rather, for Mr. Coster's polo manager, Enrique, because I rarely saw Mr. Coster. I spent most of my time at the stables while the more experienced grooms worked the polo yard during matches.

On my first day Enrique said, "Call me Ricky," and handed me the lead rope for the bitey gray mare. "Here. This one is your special assignment. She has to be exercised alone because she doesn't get along with the other ponies."

I took the lead with some trepidation and Ricky laughed.

"Don't worry. I hear she likes you."

That first day, she bit me twice. I went back the second day determined that she and I were going to be friends, or at least that she would respect me enough not to bite me every time I turned my back on her. I had the feeling that taking care of her was a test Ricky gave all the new grooms, to see how well they could do the job.

Well, fine. I'd play along. And hopefully, earn Ricky's respect as well.

The gray mare's name was Cloudburst, but the other grooms all called her various nasty nicknames based on her temperament. I started calling her Driz, short for Drizzle, and we were soon spending a lot of time together, getting to know each other's habits, likes, and dislikes.

I could not say the same about the other one I wanted to spend time with...Harry.

We had not seen each other since New Year's Eve, and in his texts Harry seemed preoccupied and distant. His navy blazer, from one of the best Savile Row tailors, hung on the back of my bedroom door, waiting for an opportunity for me to return it.

I didn't press him to make a date. I had a feeling he got enough nagging from Meg, and I didn't want to add to it. I filled my days with work, sewing, and meeting Randa for dinner at the pub, and tried not to look at newspaper racks when I passed them on the street. If there were photos of the smiling and supposedly happy royal couple, I didn't want to see them.

"So the gray mare does like you," Ricky said, leaning against a stall door while I groomed Driz. Her ears were relaxed and she was almost drowsing, although I noticed that Ricky still made sure to stand out of the range of her teeth.

"If by 'liking me' you mean she doesn't bite me every day, then yes, I think we are becoming friends," I said.

"Mr. Coster's noticed it too," Ricky said. "So I want you to come with us this afternoon to the polo match."

I eyed him over Driz's gray back. "You mean the other grooms don't want to deal with her."

Ricky laughed. "Yeah, maybe. But cheer up...you might get some tips today."

That was promising. I had spied a couple of meters of delicious green vintage velvet in the back of an antique store that I was dying to buy, but it was a bit too pricey.

"So get her wrapped and blanketed. We're leaving in an hour," Ricky was saying. "And there'll be extra for you if we get back late this evening."

Ricky stroked her neck as he passed, and Driz strained against the cross-ties, trying to nip him.

"Little beast," he said with a laugh. I went for the polo wraps, taking care to keep out of her reach.

Working the polo yard was an exciting break from spending all my time at the stables. The other grooms were quite happy to handle the other ponies as long as they didn't have to get near Driz, so she and I had a good view of the polo match while we waited. I was beginning to understand the rules and could appreciate the good shots and steals.

Mr. Coster played in the #1 position, mostly on the offensive, and I could see why he appreciated Driz's speed and agility. I was busy watching the horses and the action, not paying too much attention to the riders, until the first time the #2 player rode past me, bellowing cheerfully, his red hair and beard curling out from under his helmet.

I sucked in a breath.

"Dave," I asked the groom next to me, "does Prince Harry play on Mr. Coster's team?"

Dave nodded, never taking his eyes from the field. "When he can. When he's not off shaking hands or kissing babies or whatever it is that royals do."

After that, I noticed far less about the horses, now focusing on Harry. He rode fast and hard, and seemed to be having a great time.

Maybe, I thought, maybe he will notice me when the match is over. I didn't want to be obvious about it while we were in public, but I hoped to catch his eye as he left the arena. Even just a few minutes' chat or an exchange of smiles would make me happy.

As soon as the match was over, Harry reined in his black pony next to Driz and jumped down. Calling his groom, he handed off the reins, stripped off his helmet, and ran his hands through his hair till it stood on end.

"Will I get bitten if I come around there?" he asked, smiling at me over the mare's back.

"By me or by her?" I asked, trying to slow my breathing.

"Preferably not by the mare, although if you were to do some biting—"

So much for trying not to be obvious. "Get over here," I said, sliding my hand up the reins to control the mare's head. "I don't think she'll bite you. But I make no promises."

With the mare's body partially blocking us from public view, Harry stepped closer. "I didn't realize you'd be here today."

"Ditto. I didn't realize you played on the same team as Mr. Coster."

"Now that I know I'll see you waiting at the gate, I'll probably be here more often." Closing the distance between us, he took my hand, the one that was not holding Driz's bridle. "Although you are somewhat distracting..." he murmured.

"If that's how you play distracted, I'd like to see how well you play when you are focused."

"I'd like you to see that too. Often."

Our thighs were touching now and his hands slid up my arms. Desire to feel his touch warred with my sense that we were much too close in a public place. "Harry, we shouldn't—"

"I know," he said, his hands gliding down to rest at my waist, then lower. "But I want to. And more."

Driz, tired of having her head held so tightly, shifted her feet. I jumped sideways to avoid being stepped on, breaking free of Harry's arms.

Harry stepped back with a sigh. "Yes, that's probably a wise move," he said to the mare, his voice rough. "First time I've been chaperoned by a horse," he said, grinning at me. "By the way, save the last weekend in January for me. Kennewicke is having a hunt that weekend and my friends have a place in their territory."

"But how—"

"We'll discuss the details later. I'll handle it. Don't worry."

He flashed me one of his rare unguarded smiles. "Don't you think it will be fun? Riding to the hounds during the day, and then in the evening—"

"Yes," I said, before he got too detailed. "It will be fun."

"Good. It's a date, then."

"What? Are you over here trying to poach my new groom, as well as my gray mare?"

Mr. Coster's sudden interruption made me blush. I wondered how much he had heard of our conversation. Hopefully he and Harry were close enough that he would say nothing, even if he had heard.

Harry slapped Mr. Coster on the back. "Watch out, Coster. One of these days, this lovely little mare will be mine." Looking back at me, he raised an eyebrow and continued, "...and yes, perhaps your groom as well."