Part 72 - LHR → YVR

Samantha

It was almost 9am, and I was still in bed. I wasn't used to the time difference yet, and hadn't quite realized what time it was in London when the text came in. It was short and to the point, and said everything that needed to be said.

H: NOT PREGNANT.

For a moment I just sat there, stunned. My hands knotted on the quilts and I took a few deep breaths to steady myself, surprised to find that I was shaking.

This was it. Or it was the beginning, anyway. Shit was getting real.

H: I need a few days to wrap things up here before M is totally taken care of. But it will be over soon.

Me: And then?

It was not the best response, but it was the first thing I could think of.

H: Then we start living the life we've dreamed of. Together.

Now my heart was hammering like crazy. Because the life I dreamed of had Harry at the center, but life with Harry was complicated with so many other things. The Queen. The press. The spotlight. The constant attention.

Well, as my dad always said, I jumped fences first and looked back later to see how tall they were. I'd figure it out along the way.

Me: Together soon?

H: As soon as possible.

I walked through the day in a daze. It was quiet on Harry's end, but I knew he probably had lots of things to do. To distract myself I sat down with my notebook and started sketching some new outfits for myself, ones I could wear when I returned to London. Ones that I might be able to wear when Harry and I went on actual dates, in public, once we were totally free of Meg. I had no idea how that was going to happen, but Harry had promised it would, and I knew he was determined to do it as quickly as possible.

By afternoon I was ready to go buy some fabric. Normally I would have just taken the bus or SkyTrain, but now I had my new security detail to contend with. Kayla was tall and thin and Hanna was shorter and husky and there was always one of them on duty to accompany me. Both were muscled in an understated way and dressed in the standard Vancouver uniform of leggings and jacket, so they blended in with everyone else on the street, and they would not let me take transit.

Having a driver available whenever I wanted did have its perks, but I'm sure I was probably one of the more boring clients they had ever been assigned to. Kayla followed me doggedly through the fabric store, watching intently as I picked out fabric and thread and buttons. Then, feeling sorry for her, I took her to Starbucks and bought her a coffee.

It was good to be able to sit in public and not be worried what people would think. Anyone looking at the two of us would probably think we were just two friends out for a chat until they noticed that we rarely spoke. I guess getting friendly with the clients was probably discouraged.

I had my head down, intent on my phone, when a voice right next to my shoulder said, "Sam?"

Kayla tensed as I turned around.

"Allie?"

"I didn't know you were back in town! It's so good to see you!" my old friend gushed, leaning over to give me a hug.

"Kayla, this is my friend Allie," I said quickly, hoping she would not jump up and embarrass me. "Kayla is...a friend," I said lamely, not sure how to describe her without giving away too many details.