Ch. 13 - Izuku vs. Todoroki: II

Author: undefmidi

2018

Boku no Hero characters, original story, and everything belongs to Kohei Horikoshi, the author of said series. I only own the Plot.

If you like it, please share it!

...

Chapter 13 – Izuku vs. Todoroki: II

Izuku was burned out. His breath was ragged, irregular. The heavy sweat dampened him as he fiercely prepared for what was about to come.

He could faintly see Todoroki's silhouette in that building's darkness. They were in a closed space with almost pitch-black shadows, albeit the cobweb of cracks they made while crashing in the inner wall of the building.

It had been hour-felt seconds. Izuku kept en guard for any sudden movement from Todoroki who silently stood up in the darkness, but he didn't have much time to analyze the situation. He had to gain that time if he wanted to win—

SKREEEE—BAM!!

"GAHH!!" Izuku's pain-filled scream was muffled by the building's walls.

He had taken a step back and flicked Todoroki before he could do anything. There was no time for pointless waiting so acting instantly was the best option. Izuku was in no position to do otherwise.

His flick made a pseudo-spear of air that flung in Todoroki's direction in a missile's speed. However, he was quick enough to thrust himself with ice and dodge the incoming burst of air by a haywire. The burst of air finally crossed the wall behind him, creating a hole wide enough to somewhat illuminate the place,

Todoroki almost hit the wall to his side but was able to cushion his impact with an arch of ice. He followed the small path of ice with his momentum, finally reaching the ground with an audible slam, falling onto the cold cement, but quickly regaining his composure. He glared at Izuku who prepared his next attack.

Why isn't Todoroki attacking?!

Izuku's mind questioned that over and over again with a huge sense of anxiety. He couldn't predict Todoroki's next move with so little intel. He didn't have much knowledge in combat, nor did he have any safe ways of using his quirk. He was visibly tired from all of the fights they had, and the constant running away he had to do drained his energies to a tee.

Four of his fingers were also broken and burnt with his quirk's usage, including the one he had just used on Todoroki.

"Midoriya," Todoroki called amidst the tense atmosphere.

"W-What?" Midoriya answered with worry and attentiveness, but also with curiosity.

"I won't hold back," He said that simple phrase, yet his voice held a mixed turmoil of feelings; from gratitude to a bitter feeling that Izuku couldn't quite describe. He could, however, feel one thing from that bitterness... It was directed at him.

"Me neither," was the only response Izuku had the option to say. If he didn't, why would he pour so much of himself into his dream? Why would he waste more than a year of his life?

Those were the feelings traded with simple words. Between a rock and a hard place, both of them geared up and prepared for a fight that never seemed to start.

As if it was the small spark that lit a bonfire, interrupting that silence, a small part of Izuku's recently-made rubble fell on the ground in a bang.

The curt words turned into actions as they wordlessly began to fight: Todoroki shot sharp edges of burning ice at Izuku, who swiftly dodged it in a desperate waltz. It was obvious that Todoroki had the advantage, yet Izuku couldn't bring himself to accept defeat.