Ch. 18 - Gears

Author: undefmidi

2020

Boku no Hero characters, original story, and everything belongs to Kohei Horikoshi, the author of said series. I only own this plot!

Notice at the end of the chapter!

If you like it, please share it!

...

Izuku plopped down on his bed after a long day of school. He didn't even bother to organize his room. All he wanted was to lay down, melt into his fluffy mattress, and find whatever shred of solace he could.

But the comfort of his own bed didn't relieve the ever-growing pain that permeated his chest.

"Why is it so hard..." He muttered to himself.

After they had returned from the beach a couple of days ago, Izuku had been the center of conflict for Nejire and Momo. They would restlessly compete with each other for a reason Izuku couldn't comprehend.

Or at least that's what he's been telling himself over and over again ever since he had to eat two bentos at once; ever since he dared to consider the mere possibility of being the target of someone's love.

"I just... What should I..."

Ever since he was young, Izuku had been the target for harsh words and ignorance. Sometimes he even had wished that he could just go home, ignore the class, and cry. Every time someone looked at him, it was either out of pity, or out of spite.

And as time passed, such things ended up scarring Izuku. He couldn't see himself as something other than a stepping stone for those who held power, nor could he see himself as being worthy of anything.

Whenever he would look in the mirror, all he would see was an image of the scrawny middle-schooler with disgusting freckles. A weak, pitiful excuse for a man.

And overtime, the occasional self-loathing became so recurring that it transformed into the norm. It was standard for him the fact that he was just plain, and he ultimately stopped hurting himself over it.

And even though he had been slowly gaining confidence and assertiveness as time progressed at U.A., it didn't change his lack of self-confidence and self-love. He couldn't picture himself tackling romance.

Never in his entire life did he think someone would be even remotely interested in him. He was clueless, and it hurt him just to think about this whole situation.

"I'm not..." He clenched his bedsheets.

Izuku also didn't know why they liked him. He wasn't handsome, nor did he have an amazing personality. All he had were his unappealing nerdy hobbies and All Might wallpapers.

And yet a miracle happened. Not only one, but two girls began to show interest in him, even if in the slightest.

Crushed by its own pressure, his heart wept in sorrow. Although any other boy would leap in joy when discovering they were the target of a girl's "love", Izuku just fell into a downwards spiral of self-loathing. A hole he couldn't get out of.

He was a kid stuck in a well. All he could do was huddling himself in a corner, crying while waiting for a help that'd never come.

Izuku eventually fell into slumber, and slept an empty, dreamless night.

...

Todoroki's punchbag echoed throughout the personal gym in his house. His punches were the drums of an orchestra in disarray. A decrescendo where every chord felt like a pitiful whimper echoing a hollow theater.