Chapter 5: Down the Abyss

Sinking. I just kept sinking. Slowly falling down the pool. Water surrounding me and bubble floating above me. Holding my breath while under as I continue to sink. I have no clue on how to swim so I just sink. I sink and think at the same time.

Now most people in my situation would most likely be in a panic trying to desperately get to the top to take in sweet live saving air. However I'm not doing that because of two things. One, doing that is stupid. You panicking and trying to get to the surface is making you waste energy and even when you get to the top, you would have expended all your energy getting to the top and you would sink back down.

Second reason is because I have a survivor instinct called divers reflex. Whenever I'm submerged in water, specifically my head, my heart rate slows down and my body oxygen use decreases. I can roughly stay underwater for seven to eight minutes before I need air. When I get to the bottom of the pool, I'll have plenty of time to walk to the shallow end of the pool. For now though I'll just keep sinking.

It's funny really though. If I hadn't known about this reflex I probably would be in a panic and would have drowned long ago. It happened about five years ago. I was at a pool party with most of my family. My cousins and I decided to see who could hold their breath the longest while we were on the shallow side. All I can really remember was that I went under and stayed for a long time. When I came back up, I knew I had won the game but literally everyone was staring at me with terrified faces.

One of my uncles pulled me out of the water and my grandma that's a nurse checked my pulse. She found it beating at about 10 beats per minute. With that they rushed me to the emergency room to see what was wrong. When they checked my heart rate there, it was at a normal rate of 84. My family explained the situation to the doctors there and they determined that I had an easily triggered diver reflex.

This reflex has saved my life in the past. Two years after I found out I had diver reflex Bradely and his friends, one time, were bullying me particularly hard. When they were giving me a swirly I don't know what they did but they knocked me out during the swirly. When I woke up, I was in the emergency room. I found out that I had been discovered with my head submerged underwater in the toilet. The kids who found me though I was dead but the coach had felt my heart beating at a whopping three beats per minute! I was very near death.

That whole incident single-handedly made my school crack down on bullying, with the punishments being severe. Of course my parents sued the school and they didn't put up a fight practically giving us the money. As if yo say we're sorry and we'll make sure this won't ever happen again. I'm pretty sure the entire school would have been making fun of me if the teachers weren't watching everyone like hawks.

Bradely didn't seem fazed by what happened and he kept bullying me. However I was exceptionally well at reading people and I could tell Bradley was shook. He did swirly WAY less often than he did before and he also made sure I came out of the toilet whether on my own or he pulled me out himself. He would even hit my back hard. Which I know wasn't entirely to cause me pain but to rather to make sure I wasn't chocking.

I'm surprised honestly that he even threw me in here to be honest. He's almost drown me in a toilet so why would you thrown me into a bigger one! Bradley really is an idiot sometimes.

I was still sinking toward the bottom. Man, for 11 feet this is pretty deep. But I just keep on sinking and thinking.

This house is too much. What I mean by took much is too suspicious. How the hell did they get all the stuff in that house from Europe. Also that vase and dumb coffee table. It's incredibly hard to get access to the black market, even if your incredibly wealthy. You need to have darker connections in order to get those types of items. There isn't anyway I can see them getting all of that stuff without foul play involved. Also, why the hell am I even here? Of all places I could have getting a house, why did Bradely specifically pick here! Then I remembered that he just wants his old victim close by. What a literal prick.

I had finally reached the bottom of the pool. I looked around and saw that the pool bottom actually curves into a bowl where I'm sitting on the deep end. That makes the center of the deep end of the pool 12 feet instead of 11. That extra foot makes a difference.

Bradely was right however as I looked the bottom of the pool. I was sitting on a large rose flower that was surrounded by its own stem. I looked toward that shallow side and saw that the further you go up, you'd see more flowers. All of them made from individual pieces of colored stone. The sides of the walls looked like a blue sky with the shades of blue getting darker  the closer you get to the surface.

Well, now I can say that I've fully explored my house. I laughed inwardly at the thought but then realized my predicament. I'm still at the bottom of the pool. My head hasn't started hurting so I know it's been less than two minutes. Guess it's time to start moving before it gets too hard to concentrate.

Just as I was about to get up from the pool floor, I felt an arm wrap around my waist and hold me tight. With that, I was pulled up toward the surface of the water.