Chapter 13: A Wish for a ...

Looks like I lied. It only took me 7 minutes to get there. How you ask? Well traveling 120 mph in a car that can detect police miles away kinda helps. That feature still weirds me out.

However, Boop has been waiting for a total of 52 minutes! I might as well not have sped down the highway. I park the car at my house and quickly ran to the main house not even bothering to get out of my work clothes. I need to see what her gift was and I need to know NOW!

When I rounded the house I saw here standing there in a white dress that was illuminated by the moon and stars. Using the word beautiful would be an insult to us on her. She was flawless!

She caught sight of me and smiled with open arms. I ran even faster and slammed into her wrapping my arms around her. Huffing and puffing I was almost using her as support while I caught my breath.

"Sorry I'm so late. Got caught up with something at work." I said still trying to catch my breath. "You must have been here a long time. I'm so sorry to keep you waiting."

"Oh, I knew you would be late." I looked at her shocked. "You know I'm never late," I pleaded to her. She just giggled.

"I know silly, I just knew you would be late today. Especially since I arranged it that way." I looked at her confused.

Suddenly lights around the backyard turned on and a whole bunch of people yelled out SURPRISE! I was so surprise in fact, I stumbled away from Boop and tripped to the ground hitting my butt.

Everyone from work is here! Some of Bradley's family is here too. I was stunned and speechless. "By the look on your face I can tell I got you good." Boop giggled. "Surprise!" She offered me her hand.

I grabbed it and pulled myself up. I was still in complete shock. I had never had this done before. I've heard about stuff like this happening but I never thought it would be done to me. Done for me.

Usually on my birthday, my family would say congrats on being a year older, we'd eat a cake, open the gifts then be done with it. It was a special time but it wasn't that big a deal and it was very much out in the open with no secret or surprise.

However I'm still a little rattle at having a mob of people shout at me all simultaneously. Taking a look around I see that mostly everyone from the office is here with the exception of some mothers. I felt kinda warm knowing that everyone showed up for this...even though I know it's fake.

I shout out, "Raise your hand if you came of your own free will." Everyone's hand except for Bradley's went up.

"Okay, keep your hand up if you were offered anything of monetary value for being here." Only Boop's hand went down. Bradley looked around shocked.

"YOU'RE ALL FIRED!" He shouted.

"NO YOU'RE NOT!" Boop quickly responded.

Bradley glared at his sister who put her hands on her hips. "Make me come over there. I'll whip your tail in front of everyone here WHILE in this dress."

Bradley just put his hand in his pocket and grumbled like a child. Everyone else breathed a sigh of release. I just shrugged everything off. "Well even if you're here because you're getting paid, I'm glad anyway. I wasn't expecting this so I'm grateful that you all agreed to be apart of Betty's surprise for me."

Boop looked at me confused. "They're not apart of my surprise Reggie. Bradley set all this up."

"DUDE! WHY DIDNT YOU JUST TAKE THE BLAME!" Bradley's cheeks were a bit red. Boop just shrugged.

"Why would I lie to my best friend like that. Beside I don't want him to think that this was my gift when I have something much better planned for him." Boop gave me a sly wink and my heart jumped.