3

Cheryl really needs to find a receptionist. Doing both, counselor and reception work makes it hard for her. The counseling part isn't so bad, but while she's with a client she can't answer the phones and it sometimes takes her hours to deal with all the phone calls she needs to return and scheduling of appointments.

But she can't just hire anyone, she can only hire a supernatural and she can't just post that in the paper. She muffles a snicker as she thinks about how she'd go about posting that: Wanted a supernatural to take the role of receptionist for a supernatural counselor. Humans need not apply.

Cheryl manages to choke back her snickers as she looks at the person that just entered her office. She hides her dismay at who she sees.

"Hello, how may I help you?" Cheryl says in her fake bubbly voice she uses for those that come in for the first time and she's not sure of them.

"Hello, I'd like to make an appointment." The male says hiding his shock at the person in front of him. His wolf takes up and notices when her scent hits him. He whines to Eric as if he's in a great deal of pain.

"Oh, okay, what is your name?"

Eric can't believe that she doesn't recognize him. It's only been three years, but if she doesn't he's not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. "Justin Adams." Eric finally responds and winces internally at his response.

Cheryl wants to narrow her eyes in anger that he dares to lie to her in her own office. Instead she gives him a fake smile and some paperwork to fill out. "You're in luck, I don't have any more clients scheduled for the day. Once you fill out the paperwork let me know."

Eric's wolf stops whining since she didn't kick them out. For the first time in a very long time Eric and his wolf feel hope. Maybe she will talk to him long enough for him to explain and ask her forgiveness. And if he's very, very lucky she will give him another chance.

As rare as a rejection is, it is unheard of a mate that rejected the other giving the mate another chance. Eric can only hope that Cheryl will be the first to do so.

Cheryl goes behind the desk and starts making phone calls and setting appointments. She is interrupted by Eric setting down the clipboard with the paperwork on it. 

Cheryl takes the clipboard and looks over the information, "Very well, Mr. Adams if you would follow me, please?"

Cheryl leads him back to her office and has him take a seat. "Now, Mr. Adams why don't you tell me why you're here to see me today?" Cheryl has long ago learned to hide her feelings and hide behind a mask so others can't tell what she's feeling. Right now she's furious at the game Eric is playing and wants to know why he's here.

"Well, my mate rejected me and my wolf is pining. I was hoping that you might be able to help me with that?"

"I'm afraid that is something that I can't do. I can help you deal with the loss of your wolf when he dies or if you had lost your mate, but this isn't something that I can help you with."

"I don't understand. You can help with the loss of a mate but not the rejection of one?" Eric asks her and blinks at her in confusion.

"You don't understand me. I can help you deal with the pain of losing your mate, but after three years I think you've already done so or your wolf would have died already. Had you come to me before he started pining I might have been able to help.

"But then again, I don't like helping liars that aren't honest with me to begin with." Cheryl says coldly and Eric winces at her words. 

Eric knew it was too good to be true, Cheryl not recognizing the one that put her through hell.

He sighs, "You're right. You know who I am. I wouldn't blame you if you kicked me out of here, but before you do, I just want to apologize to you. I know that doesn't fix what I did. In my defense I didn't know that it would hurt you. I only found out a few days ago that it caused you extreme pain and suffering. My wolf knew, but he hid that knowledge from me until that last attack on the pack. We were nearly killed because he'd gotten so weak. He is pining, he's dying and he just barely confessed to me what we did." Eric gives her a weak half smile.

"Nothing is going to change with that apology, I know, but in time I hope that you will be able to forgive me.

"I'll see myself out. Thank you for your time and listening to me, Cheryl. I hope you find someone worthy of you. Goodbye." With that Eric stands up and goes to the door and is opening it when her words stop him.

"How long do you have?"

Eric doesn't pretend to misunderstand her. "Alpha Matt thinks a few months, a year at most." Eric doesn't even look at her and blinks back the tears. He really doesn't want to die and living without his wolf isn't something he even wants to think about.

"You need a mate."

"I know, but unless you're offering I don't think I'll find one." Once more Eric goes to open the door.

"These are the rules: No physical contact other than extreme casual, helping me up, guiding me  or such like; you will treat me with respect at all times, failure to do so will result in no further contact with me; if you cheat on me at anytime you will leave and never show your face around me again. I will only negotiate these terms if there comes a time when I initiate physical contact. Is that understood?"

"Um, yes, but what are the rules for?" Eric is so turned around at this point he couldn't even tell which way is up.

"They are the ground rules for a relationship. I can't believe that I'm doing this and neither can my wolf. As a matter of fact after she heard what you said about your wolf she is outright against this. If you can't convince her than you will not become my mate again. Do you understand?"

Eric turns to face Cheryl, hope shining in his eyes. "I understand. In that vein can I take you out to dinner tonight?"

Eric had gotten a room at a hotel. Well, not a room really, more of a very large suite with two bedrooms and a sitting room, private balcony with a Jacuzzi. He hopes that she will accept his invitation and they can have room service in his room.

"I can't tonight. I already have a date that I cannot get out of." Cheryl's words bring his hopes falling down like lead weights.

"Oh, if you are in a relationship already then why are you doing this?" Eric didn't take her for a cheater.

Cheryl rolls her eyes, "I'm not in a relationship. This is a first date and it's to an event important to my date. I have no interest in making it more than a friends thing. I'm free tomorrow night though if you are still interested."

"Great! What would you like to do for the date?" Eric has never had to actually date a girl before. He's always fed them then bedded them.

Cheryl smirks, "That, Eric, is up to you. You asked me out, you plan it." Cheryl takes a card and writes on the back of it. Handing the card to Eric, "My address is on the back. My office phone and cell phone on the front. Let me know what time and what I should wear."

Cheryl's dismissal was understood and since he didn't want her to back out of the deal before it even began he leaves.

Now he just has to figure out just what the hell to do for the date.