37

"Cheryl, what do you think about the office space?" Layne says as soon as they are all seated in what was his office and is now Matt's office.

"I have to say that I'm impressed. But before I can say that I'll take it I have some questions I need answered."

Layne settles back onto the sofa and signals for her to go ahead and ask her questions. Eric gives her hand a squeeze as she takes a breath and starts. "I have a major problem with some of my clients being able to come out this far. Public transportation doesn't reach out here and not all of them are able to run or drive out here." Cheryl takes another breath, "also, I'd like to open a women's shelter on the other floors or at least talk about the option of being able to do so."

Layne and Matt both sit back and think about things. "If you schedule one or two days a week for those that have transportation issues we can find someone in the pack willing to drive them to and from if your clients are willing. As for the women's shelter, that we'll have to look into. Personally neither of us have a problem with it. The biggest problem will be zoning issues. If we can get that taken care of then by all means open a women's shelter. What about for the men that are abused?" Layne says.

Cheryl smirks, "You think there are men that are abused?"

Layne looks at her seriously, "Abuse goes both ways. Although the males are usually the stronger and most likely to give the abuse there are times when there are females that abuse the males."

"That you are willing to admit that tells me that you know of males that are abused. Once my clinic is open I'll be able to help them. Yes, I would like to open a place for abused males, but unfortunately there aren't enough willing to admit it for it to be feasible. Perhaps in the future, but if I ever do, it will have to be in a separate building from the females."

Layne and Matt both nod in accord. "Very well. Now about rent..." For the next two hours they go over rents and building. Cheryl tells them what she wants done and how she wants it done. Layne and Matt listen closely and write down her requirements. Cheryl isn't shocked to find out that the construction is done by a company owned by a pack member.

Once all that is done, "So, Cheryl, does that mean that you are willing to move back?" Layne finally says as they wrap things up and get ready for their luncheon date.

Cheryl takes a deep breath and nods. "Yeah, will you be able to have the construction done in time?"

Matt and Layne had assured her that they will have not just the construction done, but the decorating as well. They told her that they would give her a bill for the things they buy for the office to fill out her wants. With that she is satisfied.

"I talked to my friends last night about the possibility of moving here. They want to talk to you first, Matt. They've talked to Layne before, but they have questions for you."

"I'll talk to them after I get done with my in laws." Matt assures her.

"Eric, now that you're moving back to the pack, what do you think about being my Beta?" Matt asks him.

Eric gives him a smile, "I thank you for the offer, but I'm going to have to decline. Cheryl will need my help for some time getting things organized, moved and up and running here. Not to mention help with the pups. I can't expect her to deal with all that now."

With those words Cheryl knows without a doubt that the man that was Eric three years ago is gone. He is no longer worried about status, he's worried about her and their pups. The feeling that gives her means more than money or status ever could.

Matt smiles warmly at Eric. "Although I am disappointed in your answer, I'm not. You have redeemed yourself in my sight. If it ever gets to the point where you are able to think about it, let me know. Some packs have more than one beta and if you choose to take that position I would be more than willing to make a second beta position available for you."

Eric looks flustered at first, "I would be honored if I am able to take the position at a future date."

Layne snickers. "Well, Eric, make sure that you care for your family first. I don't want your pups treated the same Cheryl was when she was a pup."

"I'll make sure that they aren't sir." Although Eric isn't sure how he'll be able to stop it from happening.

With that the four end the meeting and Matt walks to the cars with them.

"I have to make a stop before I head to the restaurant. Let Shelly know I might be a few minutes late, will you?" Matt says as he gets into his car.

Cheryl looks at him with her jaw dropped. His in laws are coming and he might be late meeting them? "What the hell, Matt?"

"It can't be helped, Cheryl. Our meeting went over and this is important. Hopefully it won't take too long." Matt tells her with frustration before shutting his car door. 

Cheryl finally manages to close her mouth completely once his car is out of sight.

She turns to Eric, "If my parents were still alive and you were going to meet with them the first time would you be late?"

Eric is still looking after Matt's car and is thinking hard. "I can't imagine anything that would put me off meeting them if that was the situation. I love you too much to want to make a bad impression on the in laws. Whatever he's doing must be very important to show him in a bad light to his in laws."

Cheryl just shakes her head and gets into Eric's truck. She can't imagine what could possibly be more important for Matt than this meeting.