38

Shelly is there nervously waiting for them when they arrive. She looks over their shoulders and slumps in defeat, "Where's Matt?"

"He said to tell you that he might be a few minutes late." Cheryl says soothingly but at Shelly's sharp look adds, "But he didn't say why. Just that what he's doing is important. I can't imagine anything being more important than meeting your parents."

Cheryl smiles at Shelly and Shelly tries to smile back but it comes out rather sickly. "Thanks Cheryl. I guess it's just too much to expect him to be here when I see my parents for the first time in nearly a decade."

"I'm here and Eric's here, for what it's worth," Cheryl says.

"Hey," Eric says rather offended at being discounted like that. Cheryl gives him a hard look and he shuts up rather quick.

That actually does get Shelly to smile even if it is for just a brief time. "Thank you, both of you. I don't know if I could do this without you both."

"Sure you can, you are far stronger than you give yourself credit for, Shelly." Cheryl tells her still calming her.

Eric snorts, and at the dirty look Shelly gives him explains himself. "Other than Cheryl you are the strongest female I've ever met. You can turn this whole pack into mince meat without breaking a sweat, there's nothing for you to fear in meeting with your parents again. You've got this, Shellbell." Eric was witness to the spectacular loss of control Shelly had about a month after midsummer. It was only a small panic attack and Cheryl was able to help her calm down almost immediately, but there is now a new practice field where there was once forest. The wood has been cut into various sizes to help with building. Some of that wood will be used in her office space. Some had been used in the restaurant.

Shelly looks at Eric gratefully. "Thanks, Eric." She turns to Cheryl, "thanks, Cheryl. I don't know what I'd do without you two to help me. Especially you, Cheryl."

"It won't be nearly as bad as you are making it out to be in your mind. Stop stressing over it, Shelly, you'll be fine, you'll see." Cheryl says and slowly Shelly settles down and is able to relax.

Just before she sees her parents pull up, Shelly sees Matt's car pull in the parking lot. "They're all here." Shelly starts to have an anxiety attack and Cheryl makes her breath with her.

"Relax, Shellbell, you loverboy is ahead of your parents." Eric tells her.

Indeed Matt has felt Shelly's anxiety and rushed to her side. Thus when her parents come in they find Shelly held tight to Matt and breathing deeply. She finds his scent calming and relaxing.

Shelly looks up at Matt and gives him a genuinely happy smile before taking a step back.

That's when she sees her parents. "Mom, dad, this is my mate, Matt, my friend and therapist, Cheryl and her mate and husband, Eric." Cheryl says and finishes the introductions before leading them to a private dining room where they will be eating.

"Mr. and Mrs. Cavanaugh, I just want to assure you that you are welcome to stay at the pack house or there are reservations at the hotel for you. You are more than welcome to choose another destination if you wish." Matt says and to them all he is more than a little nervous. 

Cheryl is smirking at him and Eric is shaking his head. Neither of them have ever seen their alpha so nervous before. Matt is normally very good about hiding his emotions and has never shown his nerves to others.

Shelly's parents smile warmly at Matt, "That is very thoughtful, Matt?" At Shelly's nod her mother continues, "If it isn't a bother we'd very much like to stay at the pack house. I know that witches make wolves nervous though, so if you'd prefer we could stay at the hotel?"

Matt shrugs, "The hotel is also on pack land, so it will be up to you. There is already a room made up for you at the pack house."

Mrs. Cavanaugh gives Matt a brilliant smile. "Then we'll stay there. How long are we permitted to stay?"

"You are welcome for however long you wish and are welcome to come back whenever you wish." Matt says graciously.

After that things were far less tense and they were able to enjoy their meal.

"This is a lovely restaurant, however did you find it?" Mrs. Cavanaugh says afterwards. "The food is incredible, I'd love to meet the chef."

The wolves give her wide smiles even as Shelly blushes, "I thought I told you that you would be meeting me at my restaurant? I am the chef and I own this restaurant." Shelly says and looks down even as her face becomes as red as a tomato. 

"You are behind this lovely meal? My dear, I had no idea you had such talents in the cooking department. When did you start cooking?" Mrs. Cavanaugh gushes out.

After that they talk about their lives for the last few years.

Finally Shelly wraps it up noticing how antsy Cheryl and Eric were becoming.

She takes a deep breath, "I need your help. You were right about that, but it's not for me, it's for Cheryl. A few months ago, her apartment was broken into and there wasn't a scent left behind. We need to find the witch that was behind that so we can find out who destroyed her apartment and why. As you can tell, Cheryl and Eric are expecting twin pups and would like to know who they need to watch out for."

Mr. and Mrs. Cavanaugh look at Cheryl and Eric with sympathy. "Of course we'll do what we can to help you out. I hope nothing important was harmed?"

With that Cheryl is unable to keep eye contact. "Cheryl's parents died a little over three years ago and some of the few things she had of her mother were destroyed. Not even Shelly's magic could fix them. The other items didn't matter, but the loss of those things hurt her still."

"Oh, my dear, I'm so sorry." Mrs. Cavanaugh gets up and goes to Cheryl and gives her a hug.

"You take good care of her Eric." Mr. Cavanaugh says warningly, taking on the role of father on Cheryl's behalf.

"Yes, sir. Cheryl has finally decided that living in the city is too dangerous, what with the pups about to be born. We'll be moving back to the pack territory soon, but we'd still like to make sure that whoever did that won't be harming the pups."

"We'll start looking into things as soon as we get back." Mrs. Cavanaugh promises still holding the crying girl. 

For Cheryl it has been far too long since a female has given her a motherly hug and she desperately needs it now.

Shelly sits there smiling happily. It has been so long since she's been this at peace. She needed to see her parents and just hadn't realized how much.