40

The two wolves get out of the car and make their way to the apartment building. "What the hell is that smell?" Eric asks doing his best to not be sick.

Matt presses his lips in anger, "I have only smelled this once before. Cheryl is right, it is a shapeshifter, one of the feline kind."

Eric looks at Matt incredulously, "I thought they were all dead?"

"So did I. Apparently not." The two take the elevator to the right floor. The man they are looking for isn't the only feline shifter. The whole building reeks of cat and it's making the two wolves more than a little edgy.

Finding the right apartment they knock peremptorily and wait impatiently for the door to be opened.

The stench of cat must be strong enough to cover their smell because the man opens the door and doesn't realize that they are wolves. "Yes?" He asks confused.

Matt introduces himself and Eric then asks the stranger to please come with him. As soon as Matt told the man who he was the man turns white and tries to shut the door. "I haven't done anything wrong." The man protests his innocence.

"Then nothing will be done to you, but right now you need to come with us." Eric is getting more than a little angry at how this man is acting. If they weren't in a building full of cat shifters he'd already have attacked the man before him.

The man grabs his coat and keys and leaves with them.

Matt takes them to Eric and Cheryl's old apartment. As they approach the building the man becomes more reluctant and more white. By the time they are at the apartment Matt and Eric are practically carrying him.

"What is this about?" The man asks in agitation.

Eric snorts in derision, "As if you don't know." At his words the man shakes even more.

"I don't have any idea. I'm just a helpless shifter and you wolves are bullying me."

"Why did you see, Dr. Matlock? Persecution complex?" Eric asks curious.

The man looks at Eric with his jaw dropped. "How did you know I went to see her? Did she tell you? I'll have her license for that."

"No, actually she didn't. She told us you were the man that set her up on a date with your friend the same night her home was broken into and trashed. This apartment to be exact." Eric says taking his keys out and opening the door.

Stepping into the apartment they more or less throw the man down and lock the door behind them.

Once they themselves are comfortable they haul the man to the only chair and sit him down. "Now, tell us why the hell you felt it necessary to break into Dr. Matlock's house and trash it? Why did you find it necessary to destroy the only things she had left of her parents?" Eric demands and the man shrinks back from him.

"I don't know what you're talking about." The man says but not even he would believe him with the way he denied them. 

Then the words Eric said filter through. "Her parents are dead?"

"Yes. Those figurines meant the world to her. The rest she was fine with but you truly hurt her by crushing, not just breaking them. Why?" Eric demands.

"It was an accident. I just wanted to see them closer and I knocked them down and then I stepped on them." The man says ashamed.

Matt snorts in derision, "You must be one very clumsy cat."

"I am, that's part of the reason I was seeing the good Dr." The cat man says meekly.

"Why the hell did you break in here and tear the place up?" Eric is getting angrier by the minute and Matt is having a tough time calming him down.

The man looks at Eric with confusion, "I owe some money to some very bad people. I needed some quick cash and I knew that she lived alone and would be gone that night. My friend didn't have any idea of what I planned or he wouldn't have brought her home when he did. He was less than pleased by my actions."

The shifter asks a question of his own, "Why do you care?"

"She's my wife!" Eric says impatiently.

"The Dr. isn't married." The man asserts.

"She wasn't when she was helping you, but she is now."

"Wow that was fast. She said that she wasn't seeing anyone when she agreed to go out with my friend."

"She wasn't, I'm her mate." Eric says muttering angrily. He doesn't like the reminder that Cheryl was single just a few months ago.

"The Dr. found her mate, wow. Congratulations to you both." The man says sincerely.

Matt looks at Eric puzzled and Eric returns the look. "Just what was she seeing you for?"

The man gives them a sad smile, "Multiple personality disorder among other things."

"The bad man that was demanding money?" Matt is torn between anger and amusement at this point.

"Yeah, he's one of my personalities. He likes to gamble. He also thought the Dr. was hot, but he doesn't like the idea of cross species mating. Just as well since she found her mate."

"You will stay away from her, from now on." Eric growls out angrily.

The cat man cowers away from him, "Not a problem man. I'll stay far away from her, I swear."

"I don't have time for this," Eric finally says and grabs his things and the cowering cat's things. He hauls the man up and leads him out the door.

They run into one of Cheryl's friends in the hall. "We have some fresh vegetables for dinner tonight."

"Sorry, Cheryl had the pups we'll be eating at the pack hospital."

At his words the man and Cheryl's friends both perk up. "The Dr. had pups?" Eric glares at the man and he shuts up.

Matt stays behind to talk to Cheryl's friend out of hearing of the cat client.

"I'm assuming the pups are yours? What did you have? Will you tell her congratulations for me? Congratulations to you as well."

Eric comes to a stop and turns to face the would be burglar, "Listen, you are damn lucky I don't kill you for what you did to my wife. If I were you I'd shut the hell up. I'll be taking you back to your apartment building and you will forget you ever met me or my wife or my friend that is here. Do you understand?"

The man looks down and nods his head sullenly, pouting.

Eric in disgust pulls the man on out of the building and takes him back and is more than happy to dump him back at his own apartment building.

"Don't ever break into someone's place again. Next time you might be killed. If I find out that you've been bullshitting me I'll be back to kill you. Do you understand?"

The man stares at him in fear, "Y-y-yess, I understand. I won't break into any ones places any more. Thank you for not killing me."

Eric just sneers at the man and lets him go as he walks away. Matt watches the man from his car as Eric comes to join him. "I'm not sure if he was just putting on an act or was genuine."

"He damn well better be genuine, because otherwise I'll be coming back to kill him."

Matt smirks as he gets in his car. They are both more than a little disgusted by the shifter and can't wait to leave that area.