39

As hard as they tried the new office wasn't ready before the birth of the pups. Fortunately Cheryl had already planned for that contingency by not scheduling anything for the month before the scheduled move. 

The night after her last client in that office left she went into labor.

By seven the next morning she was holding her son and daughter in her arms and Eric was being super goofy in his excitement and his tiredness.

Eric can't believe that his life has changed so dramatically from three years ago. Then he was a playboy and living to have sex with every hot girl he could find. Now he has a beautiful mate who is his wife and two incredible children. He couldn't imagine a life better than this and even his wolf has to agree.

Eric has to snort at the way his wolf is acting about the pups. He acts as if they are his idea and he is the one that brought them into being. Not even Eric is foolish enough to act like that. He knows that he only had the fun part and Cheryl did all the work. If anyone has the right to be strutting around it should be her and her wolf. 

Eric never thought he could feel such love as he feels looking at the three most important people in his life. He doesn't know what he'd do if anything ever happened to them.

"You should go home and get some sleep while you can," Cheryl says sleepily. She doesn't want to sleep just yet, she wants to hold her children for a bit longer.

Eric takes the children one by one and holds them and snuggles them before placing them in their bassinets. "You, my love, need to sleep. I'll take them back to the nursery and then I'll head home. I'll bring some of Shelly's food with me when I come back so you don't have to eat the shit they serve here." Eric says kissing Cheryl's head before she falls asleep.

Cheryl wants to tell him that the food isn't that bad but she's too tired and falls asleep even before the babies are taken from the room.

Shelly tells Eric to head on over to the hospital and that she'll bring the food with her when she gets done making it. After several hours of sleep Eric is more than a little hungry, so he hopes that Shelly will bring lots of food. Shelly assures him that she'll bring more than enough for both him and Cheryl.

When he finally makes it to the hospital he finds the room a bit crowded and Cheryl wide awake. "Wow, I didn't expect you all to be here."

"We found some things out and then when we heard that the pups were born we just had to come and see them." Mrs. Cavanaugh says cooing at the baby and not even looking at Eric.

Eric loses his smirk at her words. "You found the witch?" He stands straighter and more ready to spring into action.

"We did and we have the information you wanted."

With those words Mr. Cavanaugh has their undivided attention. Unfortunately Eric and Cheryl couldn't say the same. It is only when Shelly and Matt show up with enough food for everyone and everyone has food that they are able to get the information from the Cavanaugh's.

"The witch that did the spell was at first not very forthcoming, but when she heard that the person that hired her was targeting a pregnant female, she gave us all she had."

Mr. Cavanaugh hands a paper to Eric. "All the information we gathered on the client for the spell. The witch wasn't sure if it's accurate, but we were able to ascertain that it is. At least the person is real and they live at that location, at least for now. As for why, she didn't know and didn't ask." 

Mr. Cavanaugh thins his lips down in anger at this. "She has since been instructed that when someone wants to buy a spell such as that they need to give the reason. Those spells are never used for good. She promised that she wouldn't do that spell again. I don't think she was happy with how things turned out for her."

At their confused looks Mrs. Cavanaugh explains, "I think, we think," she corrects herself, "that the witch has a crush or had a crush on her client that bought that spell. She sure didn't charge him much for it."

"The man made her promises that he didn't keep and when she went after him he managed to talk himself out of trouble."

Eric looks at the name and is confused. He's familiar with her clients and neighbors from before the move and he isn't one. He shows her the name and she turns white.

At their expectant looks she explains, "The man I had a date with the night my apartment was broken into? His friend was a client of mine," Cheryl nods her head at the piece of paper, "that's my client who set me up with his friend."

Now it's Eric's turn to be confused, "But he's not a client, at least not one you've seen since I took over as receptionist."

"He stopped coming after his friend asked me out. I just never thought anything of it. People come and go all the time with me."

Matt looks at her worriedly, "Can you think of a reason why he'd target you like that?"

Cheryl shakes her head no. "He did take my laptop and so maybe he wanted to get information on my other clients. If that's the reason then it wouldn't have worked. Shelly set a spell on my laptop that if anyone other than me tried to use it then the hard drive would fry. None of the information would have been able to be retrieved from it."

"What kind of supernatural is he?"

Cheryl looks confused with this question, "You know, I'm not sure. His scent would change subtly even while he was with me. I think he was some type of shape shifter, but not a wolf."

"Why did he go to you?" Eric wants to demand this but doubts that she'll answer.

"I can't tell you. I shouldn't even have told you that he was a client of mine."

Eric smiles and so does Matt, "Don't worry love, you don't need to tell us any more. Rest and have fun with the children."

"I'm coming too," Matt says and Eric just nods. There was no way his alpha was going to stay behind and he's just as happy to have his assistance.

"Eric-" Cheryl starts but shuts up when Eric gives her a look.

"I'm not going to let this rest. He's a danger to you and to our pups and I can't let that go and neither will Matt."

Cheryl just sighs and nods as the two leave the room.

Soon after the door shuts Shelly starts cleaning up the food and her parents play with the children.

"They'll be fine, Cheryl." Shelly tells her.

Cheryl gives a bitter laugh, "It's not them I'm worried about." With that both Cheryl and Shelly don't say anything further unless the Cavanaugh's directed a question to them.