chapter one

AMARA ROSE;
chapter one

I paint the canvas before me in a series of thin, blue strokes. My teeth press into my bottom lip, a sign of my concentration. I was in the zone, as some might say.

"How does this look?"

My eyes lift up from my painting at the sound of my best friend's voice.

My eyes fall on a poorly done piece of artwork. All of the colors are much too bold and hadn't properly been blended together.

I open and shut my mouth for a several moments as I gather the right words to use.

"It looks...great."

Caleb lets out a sigh. He sets his painting down,"You're clearly lying, Amara," He says with a shake of his head.

I purse my lips before directing my attention back to the canvas before me. Perhaps he'd forget all about it.

"Amara," he persists.

A groan tumbles past my lips. I set down my paint brush and turn to face him.

"Okay, Caleb, if you seriously want the truth, you're painting could use a few minor touches."

He raises his eyebrows suggestively,"Like?"

I sigh,"To put it this way and I mean this in the nicest way possible... I just don't think that this class is the right one for you."

He doesn't respond, instead he begins to tug his stained-up apron over his head, disposing off it to the side.

"I quit."

I give him a apologetic look before mimicking his actions,"I'm sorry that I drug you into a class you weren't cut out to be in," I say as I gather up all of my belongings.

"It's alright," he implies with a shrug," I enjoy having a free period dedicated to just fucking shit up."

I nod my head, grasping onto my bag strap as the two of us make our way down the corridor.

"You know, I could always teach you some stuff," I offer, glancing over to meet his gaze.

"What would be in it for you?"

My brows furrow,"There isn't a catch to it. Can I not just do something nice for a close friend?"

"Right."

He then whips his entire body around to face me,"Anyways, so as you know, summer break is just around the corner, right?"

I nod my head.

"Well that also means that my annual, banging birthday party is coming up also," He says, grinning rather proudly.

The two of us come to a stop in front of my dorm.

"The thing is though, I'm not going to be doing it this year."

I raise my eyebrows," You aren't going to throw your birthday party this year? Didn't you already rent that one beach house for it?"

His grin grows even wider,"I did but I only sent out invitations to a few. It'll be a lot more laid back this year."

He places his hand on my shoulder, giving me his signature, sly smile,"Oh, don't you even worry, you're invited."

I nod my head, giving the boy a false smile. "Oh really?"

"Yes, Amara. And don't even think about trying to get out of it this year. I already checked your schedule for next week so you have no excuse."

I let out a quiet sigh. I had just been defeated. All of the excuses I had come up with to pass up Zion's extravaganza were now completely useless.