chapter two

AMARA ROSE
chapter two

I have always dreaded social events. You can often find me curled up in my room, fast asleep, after having told someone I couldn't hang out as I had homework to tend to or a made-up test to prepare for.

Caleb's birthday bash, as he decided to refer to it this year, is one of those things that I always lied straight through my teeth to get out of.

This year around though, my mission had been aborted before it could even be put into progress.

The bean stock of a boy had barged into my room earlier this morning. Way too early for my liking, might I add. He ushered me over to the beach house to 'get this shit on the road.'

Zion had been honest when he said that he had invited only a limited amount of people this year which helped ease my nerves a little.

I am seated at an arm chair in the main room now. A boy, who I had met my sophomore year of college, named Edwin, has his arm draped across my shoulders.

The cup I have in my hand is filled with a fruity alcholic beverage. It had been supplied by the only senior in the room, Nick Mara.

Austin Porter, a golden-haired boy, is also present. He has a half-empty corona in his hands. He also appeared to be the only person, other than myself, who isn't so keen to be attending.

The dominican boy seated next to me nudges my shoulder, drawing me back into reality.

"If you seriously want to get out of here quicker, just pretend to get shitfaced, pass out and I'll escort you to your room." He whispers in my ear.

I bite back the grin threatening to appear on my face. "Sounds like a plan."

I bring the cup up to my lips and empty the remaints of the drink into my mouth.

As I go to swallow the tangy liquid, my eyes then fall on a familar face as he enters the room. I force myself to gulp down the drink before jolting up from my seat.

Everyone's attention directs to me at my sudden and abrupt actions.

"I'm going to go and get a refill." I announce before scurrying out of the room.

Of course out of all people Caleb could have told to come, he had to go behind my back and invite the one person I had intentions of never seeing again.

Now I was stuck with dealing with him for Caleb's entire birthday week.

I shake my head, having now regretted not following through with my plan B which was to fake contracting a deadly virus. Plan C, to fake an injury. Plan D, a dead uncle or aunt. But I just had to give into my guilt. Now I'm here. Stuck, with no way out, with him.

I pace back and forth as I rack my brain for any clever tactics to remove myself from my current, very unfortunate, predicament. I usually am that person that is prepared for things. But I didn't see this coming. I never imagined that it would ever come. In fact, I have prayed for it never to come.

Footsteps. I hear them stop behind me. They pick up again. Stop once more. He is standing right next to me now.

"I sort of had the impression that this was going to be a boy's week."

My hearts racing. Maybe he won't recognize me. No, there is no way he won't.

"Can you speak?"

"Yes." I say, a little harshly.

He's done pouring his drink now. He sets the bottle down with a clink. He turns towards me.

"I'm sorry but do you have a problem with me  or-."  He pauses. His jaw then drops."Oh my god. Aren't you that one girl? Holy shit, you are. You're the girl who asked me to sexually degrade her on our first hookup."

He begins laughing.
"Damn, I've always wondered what you got up to. I never thought I'd see you again."

"Yeah, me neither." My face is beet red by now. Nothing else could compare to the humiliation I feel in this moment.

"It really is the most innocent looking ones that do the most during sex. I'd never even guess that you were like that by just looking at you." He says smiling like a child on Christmas.

"Can you please shut up." I say.

His smile shifts into a smirk. "Why? Are you embarrassed of what you did? You don't have to be. I liked that night. I enjoyed it."

I grimace.

Lucky for me, Edwin swoops in at the right time to save me. He eyes the two of us. I can tell he's picking up on the tension. Brandon notices that Edwin notices it. I can tell by his smirk that he likes the tension.

He takes a sip of his drink he had previously poured. "Hey, Eddy."

"Brandon." He nods. "Pour me a cup of whatever you're having."

"You got it."

Edwin turns to me now as Brandon prepares him his drink. "Z and the rest of the boys have headed outback. It's your perfect time to escape upstairs." He looks over at Brandon and then back to me. "Unless you don't want to, of course."

"No, I do. I was actually just about to leave."

"Right." He says. "Well, Ill see you in the morning then. Sleep well."

"Okay."

I head upstairs, knowing I won't be sleeping tonight. The humiliation of this whole situation will be eating away at me, keeping me up.