chapter three

AMARA ROSE
chapter three

A puff of smoke tumbles pass my lips as the rounded brush I hold dances across the canvas.

The soft hum of my music playing from my speaker is the only noise present.

All of the boys had taken it upon themselves to venture outdoors to kick off the morning with a few games of football. I could hear them rough-housing just right outside my window.

I, however, have every intention of spending my morning summoning my inner Leonardo Da Vinci. With the helping hand of marijuana, of course.

My brush dips into the paint before gliding across the canvas once more, leaving behind a bright yellow smear.

Another cloud of smoke invades the air as I lean back to observe my work. A smile appears on my face as I see how well my hard laboring has been paying off.

A soft knock against the door, cause my eyes to lift from my artwork.

Brandon stands, propped agaisnt my doorframe, watching me. His hair is a sweaty mess. Strands of it lay matted to his forehead and the nape of his neck.

"Are you lost?"

He grinned. "Not quite." He looks past me."What are you up to?

I turn away from him and go back to painting.
"I'm minding my own business." I say as I strike my canvas once more.

"Hm." I hear him lay down on my bed and sigh.

"What do you want?"

"A hit of that would be nice."

I look over at him. He's smiling, all sprawled out on the mattress. I hesitantly pass it to him. I watch as he puffs on it a few times and releases the smoke. He hands it back. He's smiling still.

"Say, didn't you let me hit it in this position before?"

"Shut your mouth." I say as I put the blunt out.

"I've got to say, that position was probably my favorite."

"How about we don't discuss that anymore?"

He gets up from the bed. "Okay, so as long as we can friends then."

"That's a reach."

"Come on, Amara. I'm a fun time."

"Who ratted out my name to you?"

"No one, actually. I found it out on my own."

I roll my eyes. "Okay, fine. You and I can be friends but please get out now."

"Best friends." He persists.

"Don't push it."

"Right, well, I better head off before any of them start to get suspicious."

"They don't know about our past so they don't have a reason to get suspicious."

"That's the thing," He pauses, smiling. "I kind of told them all."

I scoff. "Well, advice them that they still have no reason to be suspicious. I will not be letting you within a four feet distance of me from here on out."

"I can't do that. I only make promises I can keep, Amara. And you shouldn't make those promises either. How strong are you mentally? You think you can hold out? Resist me?"

"Yes." I say as I close the door in his face. I sigh as I lean against it, listening to his laughter.

"We'll see." His voice is muffled. "We'll see." He repeats as he walks himself further down the the hall away from me.

I sure hope I have the strength. He looks real good nowadays. Real good.