Chapter 1

I'd been busking for hours and was walking through town to the tube when I spotted a sign in a bar window saying "Live Music Tonight". I stood for a moment wondering whether I should check it out or not. Live music is always the best but I was tired and seriously thinking of just continuing home when a couple walked past me and into the bar. I heard the woman saying "I can't wait to hear Chris tonight, he's so good. I wouldn't miss this for the world." and with a recommendation like that I decided I shouldn't either.

I walked up to the bar, bought myself a beer and then found myself a seat in the corner of the room. There were still places closer to the stage but I had my guitar with me and didn't want it to be in the way. The music wasn't due to start for another ten minutes so for now I just enjoyed being sat down relaxing after a long afternoon on my feet.

The bar was gradually filling up and everyone was talking about the show. It seemed this guy had quite a following and slowly my expectations of having a good night were growing. I was slowly drinking my beer when Chris Shiflett was announced to the stage. I looked over and saw a man walk on as the crowd cheered wildly. He was dressed in jeans, a T shirt and had a blue bandana round his head. He had collar length hair, a beard and was pretty cute. As he walked onto the stage towards his guitar he waved to the crowd and smiled. His smile was mesmerising. He picked up his guitar and stepped up to the mic. When he spoke, saying hi and thank you for coming my heart skipped a beat, he had the sexiest voice I'd ever heard. Now I knew this was going to be a good night, I could listen to him speak for hours, never mind sing.

When he started to sing his music was a bit more country than I was expecting but sometimes it's good to listen to something new. He was obviously enjoying himself, it showed on his face and the crowd were loving every minute, including me. He'd been playing for about 15 minutes when he suddenly stopped part way through a song. "Fuck" he said over the mic "I've broken a string. Well I guess we'll have to call it a night unless someone has a guitar I can borrow?" he laughed.

Without thinking I shouted "I have one" Then I cringed. He was a musician for god's sake he was bound to carry spare strings if not a spare guitar.

I looked down into my beer, trying to hide quietly in the corner hoping no one would look at me but then I heard that sexy voice say "I can't see you. Come on who is it that's coming to my rescue?" I felt myself blush as I slid down further into my seat hoping the ground would open up and swallow me.

By now the crowd were all looking around too. I sat quietly hoping that if I didn't say another word no one would notice my guitar case. That didn't happen, someone must have seen it and gradually the word must have spread through the audience because slowly they turned to look and formed a gap so that Chris could see straight through to me. "Ah there she is." I heard him say. "Come on then hand it over." he joked.

My cheeks were burning as I stood, picked up my guitar case and slowly took it towards the stage. By the time I got there he had taken his guitar from around his neck and placed it on the stand. He met me at the edge of the stage, jumped down the small step, took my guitar case as I handed it over and kissed me on the cheek as he said "Thanks for this." I hadn't met his gaze until then I was so embarrassed but the shock made me look him in the eyes and he smiled at me. My heart was racing. I noticed his eyes, they were a beautiful blue, before he turned and jumped back on the stage.

I dropped my head and rushed back to my seat to hide. As he took my guitar from it's case he was talking to the audience again "Well I think we should all say a thank you to the young lady who saved the show." The crowd cheered and clapped but I still didn't look up. As he strummed a little and got ready to carry on with his set he joked "Actually I really like this guitar, I might not give it back." The crowd all laughed and Chris started to sing once more. At last I was forgotten about.

When the music finished I could see lots of the audience going over and chatting to Chris. All I wanted was to get my guitar back and go home but I wasn't about to go and get it with all those people around. I'd made enough of a fool of myself in front of this crowd already today. My attention had wandered and I was randomly playing with my empty glass when I heard a voice beside me. "Can I get you another one of those?" it said.

I looked up and it was him, immediately I felt my cheeks go red, still embarrassed about before. "No it's fine I should be getting home anyway." I stood and held out my hand towards my guitar "I was just waiting for my guitar."

He handed the case over. "Thanks for letting me borrow it, it really is a nice guitar."

"Well, I know it was a bit stupid to offer, you must have had spare strings if not a spare guitar with you."

"Yeah but it was quicker this way. Kept the flow of the set going so thanks anyway. I have to ask though, why did you have it with you? Do you always take a guitar when you go to a bar?"

I laughed a little "No I don't but I was out busking all afternoon. In fact I was on my way home when I saw the live music advertised and just decided to call in for a listen."

"So you had no idea what you would be listening to when you came in then? I hope you weren't too disappointed." he said with a grin.

"No I wasn't disappointed at all. I love listening to live music."

"Yeah me too. It's the best fucking sort." he grinned. "OK listen I know you're in a rush tonight and it looks like the fans are waiting for me anyway but I really would like to buy you a drink to say thanks. I travel a lot but I'm in town with friends for a while now so maybe I can take your number and then I can call you to arrange something."

It had been a long time since anyone had asked me for my number but I figured it couldn't hurt, in fact it might be fun. "Sure." I told him smiling. I scribbled my number on a piece of paper I had in my bag and handed it over to him.

"Great." he said as he took it. "I'll call you soon. Oh by the way what's your name? You already know I'm Chris but it's only fair I know who I'm phoning."

I laughed. "My name is Mia."

"Nice to meet you Mia."

He held out his hand and I reached to shake it. "Nice to meet you too Chris." I said as he leaned and kissed my cheek.

"I'll call you. Goodnight." he said as he turned to walk away.

"Goodnight." I called after him.