Chapter 10

Over the next couple of days I only heard from Taylor if I text him first and he was always too busy to see me. By the time it got to Thursday I really liked the idea of going to the barbecue with Chris and making Taylor jealous.

After work I headed home to change clothes and set about preparing the food I'd promised. By the time I heard Chris knock it was almost ready. I opened the door to see him standing there smiling, beer in his hands.
"I figured I'd supply the alcohol if you're supplying the food." he joked as he stepped in and kissed me on the cheek.

I felt my heart flutter a little when his lips touched my cheek and I smiled at him "Thanks." I said taking the beer from him and leading the way into the living room.

As he took a seat I went into the kitchen, opened two of the bottles and took them back to him.
"Is dinner on your lap in front of the TV ok?" I asked him

"That's the best sort of dinner." he replied grinning.

"I'll go and dish up then." I laughed "Remote's on the table, why don't you find something to watch."
I loved how easy time with Chris was. I felt so comfortable with him and I just wished me and Taylor could move past that awkward first stage of the relationship and be this relaxed together.  I shook my head, I wasn't thinking about him tonight I decided, tonight was all about planning the gig with Chris.

When I returned with two plates of food Chris had settled on a documentary about country music. I smiled as I put his plate on the table in front of him. "Looks great." he said glancing up at me. "Is this OK?" he asked pointing to the TV "I can find something else if you'd rather."

"No I'd love watching that with you." I said as I sat down beside him.

As we ate we started to chat, about the documentary, music in general and anything else that came into our heads. It felt like I'd known him forever. When he'd finished his food he sat back and sighed.
"That was delicious. Best meal I've had in hours" he joked and winked at me
"Well I better hope so" I laughed "Do you want another beer?"

"Sounds great" He said "then we can discuss the gig."

I nodded in response and cleared the plates into the kitchen and carried two beers back into the living room with me. I handed one to Chris and sat back down beside him. He took a list of gig dates from his pocket and put it on the table in front of us. I had to sit real close to him so I could see the list better. I could feel the warmth from his body and a lonely butterfly flew through my body.
"These first dates are just me and a guitar" He said and pointed on the list "But for these last couple in New York I have a small band. So how do fancy coming out to NYC and joining me then?"

He looked up and his eyes met mine. I realised how close he was and my mouth was suddenly really dry. I took a sip from the beer. I was really shocked to what he had suggested.
"You want me to come to New York?"

"Well...yes. If that's alright with you?"

"Wow... I don't know what to say..."

"Uhm" he seemed a bit uneasy now "I'll sort your flights and hotel room. I thought it would be a fantastic end to my mini tour. To have you beside me"

I felt a huge smile spread across my face, this was an amazing.
"I'd love to come to New York. I can't believe youve asked me. Thank you so much."

"Hey it's no big deal. It'll be fun. You'll be great on that stage."

For a moment I just sat and stared at him not really knowing what to say. A famous musician was telling me I'd be great on stage with him and I didn't know how to react. Eventually I got myself together, cleared my throat a little and asked.
"So what will I have to do?"