Chapter 4

A couple of days later my phone rang and it was Chris. "Hi Mia" he said as I answered the phone "Some of the band are working in the studio today and I wondered if you'd like to come and hang out. I know you're into music and I thought it might be fun."

"Really? Thanks. I'd love to." I really liked the idea of meeting Dave Grohl and watching the Foo Fighters at work. A part of me was hoping to see Taylor again too, I hadn't heard from him since the other night.

Chris gave me the address of the studio and directions on how to get there. I quickly got ready and ran to catch the next bus. As I sat amongst the sea of people I couldn't help but smile, I was about to spend my afternoon with a famous rock band and I was so excited.

I arrived at the studio and rang the bell. A short time later the door opened and Chris was stood there smiling. As I stepped inside he said "Glad you could make it Mia." and he gave me a hug. A hug that seemed to last a little longer than necessary but I didn't mind.

"Thanks for inviting me." I replied. As we walked down the corridor I looked at all the famous faces on the walls "This place is amazing." I told him.

He looked towards me and smiled, I liked his smile. "Do you like it? Maybe I can give you a guided tour later."

"Thanks. I'd like that."

As we got about half way down the corridor Chris stopped, opened a door on his right and held it open for me. As I walked in I could see Rami and Christine sat with a man with long, dark hair. Rami looked up and said "Hey Mia. Nice to see you again."

At this point the man with long, dark hair looked over his shoulder and I could see it was Dave Grohl. My heart started to race, I couldn't believe I was in the same room as him.

"Dave I'd like you to meet Mia, the girl from my gig the other night. Mia this is Dave, but I'm sure you already knew that."

I stood trying not to stare. I wanted to speak but my mouth had gone dry and my mind had gone blank. Dave stood and walked over to us. "Nice to meet you Mia." he said.

"You too." I manage to mutter but I felt my cheeks start to burn. I knew I had to pull myself together or I'd make a complete fool of myself. I swallowed hard and took a deep breath. I looked up at him and managed to say quietly "Thanks for letting me come and watch you work this afternoon."

"No problem. Come and take a seat. We were just discussing a guitar section that Chris is playing." He put his arm loosely round my shoulders and walked me over to where Rami and Christine were sitting.

I took the seat next to Christine as Chris took a seat and picked up the guitar by the side of it. He chatted with Dave for a little while, played a short riff and then they batted ideas back and forth on how to improve it before Chris played it again but slightly differently this time. It was fascinating watching them work it out between them.

"They're pretty impressive aren't they?" Christine said quietly to me. "I don't think I'll ever tire of watching them work and I'm not really a musician so it must be even better for you."

I looked at her and smiled. "I'm not a musician like they are either. I just busk a little in town. My dad taught me to play the guitar and I love to play but they are definitely in a different league."

I hadn't noticed but Dave and Chris had stopped their discussions while I was talking to Christine. "I'm sure that's not fucking true. I'm not a real musician either, I can't even read music." Dave joked "I'm sure you could play one of our songs easily." He picked up his guitar and then asked "What songs do you know?"

I thought for a moment. "Everlong, that's a great song."

"Good choice. Right then I'll show you the beginning of Everlong."