Chapter 7

Chris had text a few gig dates over so that I could decide which was best for me. He'd said once he knew which days he wasn't working with the Foos he'd arrange for us to get together to rehearse. So now I was on the bus into town, going to find something new to wear. The gig was still a few weeks away but I didn't want to leave it until the last minute as I wanted the perfect outfit.  I heard my phone ring. I pulled it from my bag and as I answered I heard Christine's voice say "Hi Mia. I just wondered what you were up to. Rami and the guys are in the studio this afternoon and I thought maybe we could hang out?"

"I'm on my way into town actually. Chris has asked me to play with him at a gig so I need to find something to wear."

"Oh need any help? I love shopping." she said excitedly.

I laughed a little "Sure, a second opinion is always useful."

We arranged a time and place to meet and soon I found myself strolling round the shops arm in arm with a model. A few weeks ago I would never have believed my life could turn out like this.

"Soooo Chris asked you to play at one of his gigs. Does this mean you've seen him since the other day in the studio?" Christine asked.

"What?!" I asked surprised, not sure how to answer. She obviously had the wrong idea about me and Chris.

She stopped walking, faced me and rolled her eyes. "Come on I want to know if you and Chris are seeing each other."

"No!" I exclaimed "We're just friends. I bumped into him and the boys in town the other day when they were having coffee. Chris told me to join them and then he invited me to have pasta with them that's all."

"That's all?" she asked grinning.

"Yes that's all."

She sighed and seemed a little disappointed. "But you look so good together. And he must quite like you if he's asking you to play at his gig."

I frowned at her. "We're friends, that's it. We were talking about music and he asked if I'd like to rehearse some stuff with him for a gig. It sounded fun so I said yes but that's all there is to it. Now are you going to help me with choosing an outfit or not?"

For a moment she stood and just looked at me, then she smiled, took my arm again and said "Of course. Do you know what you're looking for?"

"Well, I definitely need some new jeans. I was thinking black, skinny jeans."

"That's a great idea. You have a fantastic body you should definitely show it off. And what about some boots? Kinda country lookin'?"

I screwed my nose up "Not really my style. I'm more of a rocker. Vans are more my thing."

"OK we can work with that." she grinned. "I'm used to working with Vans they're Rami's favourite."

We trailed round a few shops until I found a pair of skinny, black jeans that fitted perfectly. I had to admit I felt good in them and Christine approved. She held up various tops but none of them were really what I would have felt comfortable wearing. She put her hands on her hips and joked "I know you're a rock chick at heart but Chris is a country boy, we must be able to find something that fits both." For a moment we both stood laughing before she said "I know. Wait there." She disappeared for a couple of minutes before returning with a red and black check shirt. "Taa Daa!" she exclaimed looking pleased with herself.

"Now that I'd wear. And it would go perfectly with the red Vans I've had my eye on for a while."

"See we make a great team." she grinned "Try it on then." I went back in the changing room and emerged in the jeans and top. "Wow! You look amazing. That's definitely it."