Chapter 10

Jimin thinks he catches Yoongi scowling in the audience as he’s bouncing nervously around backstage, glancing through the curtain separating him from the dancers on stage. His mom has told him exactly where she was sitting so he could look to her for support, if necessary.  As he searches for her, he’s pretty sure he can see Yoongi sitting petulantly next to someone who looks like his mother. It’s hard to tell, confidently, if it is them or not, the lights bright shining in Jimin’s eyes and the seats at such a distance away from the stage, but it still sends an even bigger burst of butterflies fluttering through Jimin’s stomach. He was the one who invited Yoongi, he knows, but the idea of Yoongi actually seeinghim dancing makes Jimin feel embarrassed.

He’s worried it’s going to distract him, but his nerves turn out to be unfounded. When it’s his turn – the last group to go – Jimin steps on stage and everything falls away. Forgetting about Yoongi, his mom, the audience entirely, Jimin starts to move. The music fills him up in a wonderful, indescribable way, and his body relaxes, moving fluidly, following the moves he’s practiced thousands of times.  

Yoongi leaves his mind altogether until Jimin’s done and has calmly exited to the stage, only to start screaming and hugging one of the younger boys in his group, Jungkook. He takes compliment after compliment and doles out dozens of his own, getting slapped on the back and high fiving every other dancer he passes as they all buzz excitedly about the amazing performance they’ve done.

He doesn’t think about Yoongi again until someone taps him on the back, and he whirls around to see Yoongi smiling unusually brightly at him.

“Hyung! You made it!” Jimin all but shouts, still riding an adrenaline high that feels like it may never leave.

“Yeah,” Yoongi says before he leans in, close to Jimin’s ear, “hey, your mom is right behind me, is it okay if I kiss you?”

Jimin doesn’t even finish getting out the words, “Sure, go ahead,” when Yoongi’s mouth slips away from his ear and presses against Jimin’s lips instead. It’s awkward for only a second, both boys stiff, mouths just touching before Jimin’s hands curl into the fabric at the hem of Yoongi’s shirt and he leans forward to apply a comfortable pressure. Yoongi’s moves against him in reaction, his arm bracing Jimin’s neck, body moving in until Jimin can feel their stomachs touching.

Yoongi pulls back, just three centimeters, and when Jimin opens his eyes to see why, he only finds Yoongi staring oddly at him.

They kiss again, and only break apart again when, sometime later, when Jimin’s mom starts to screech excitedly about how amazing her baby boy is.

Jimin’s a little dazed when she pulls him away from Yoongi to pull him into a hug, his first kiss, his first kiss with Yoongi,Jihoon’s gross older brother who Jimin has barely ever gotten along with, leaving him disoriented.

(Yoongi hadn’t known Mrs. Park was actually following behind him. He had just never seen anything so beautiful.)