Chapter 12

Jimin glances up, over the back of the couch, just in time to see his mom, laughing, bumping her hip into Yoongi’s as they stand at the counter together, cutting vegetables. She’d invited Yoongi over for dinner again, without consulting Jimin, and he’d arrived home from the dance studio to find them cooking together.

It’s just a few days shy of what, should be, their second month together. Technically, they’ve only been faking for about a month, and it’s the exact day they should probably be breaking up, but, Yoongi is cooking with his mom and Jimin can hear Yoongi laughing, sounding happier than Jimin thinks he’s ever heard from Yoongi before. Sometimes Jimin can make Yoongi laugh like that, but most of the time, it’s at his expense.

The laughter dies out, but the two of them are talking. Jimin can’t quite hear what’s being said, even when he leans really far over the edge of the couch to try. He can see Yoongi blushing and smiling shyly at his mom, though, and he watches his mom laugh excitedly and ruffle Yoongi’s hair. He’s surprised when Yoongi doesn’t seem bothered by her actions.

Eventually, when his mother and fake boyfriend stop playing around and go back to preparing dinner, and Jimin still can’t hear, Jimin sinks back into the couch and stretches out, a pleasant feeling in his chest and the thought that maybe he and Yoongi don’t need to break up so quickly.