Chapter 13

“Maybe we should post pone the break up,” to Yoongi, the decision comes abruptly, but Jimin has been worrying about how he’s going to approach the topic for an entire week.

He’s prepared for Yoongi to give him what he expected, a hard no, and he’d been ready for Yoongi to shrug and agree, but, for some reason, Jimin had not anticipated Yoongi giving him a strange, part confused, part hopeful look and asking, “Why?”

Scrambling for an answer, Jimin waves his hands a little wildly and stammers, “Oh, w… well, it’s just, it’s going well, isn’t it? And my mom really likes you and everything will get so awkward and weird if we just break up now and… you know… it’s not, like, hurting anyone, so, why do we need to break up right away anyways? If we quick break up, what if my mom just assumes it’s a phase? Plus, our plan wasn’t that great? We need more time to think,” Jimin keeps throwing out new reasons, watching Yoongi’s face and waiting for one to catch.

Yoongi tilts his head, staring at Jimin from where he’s sitting at his desk, Jimin standing awkwardly in the doorway, “so, your mom likes me, and you want to just keep dating?” Yoongi clarifies.

Fake dating,” Jimin stresses, bouncing nervously. He’s not really sure why he asked if they can wait to break up. It’s been the plan the entire month, and none of his excuses to keep up the ruse are particularly reasonable. It doesn’t make much sense to keep it going. The goal was to convince Jimin’s mom that Jimin was gay, and he’s done so successfully. There’s no point is pretending any longer, but there’s still a bright hope in his chest that Yoongi accepts.

“Right,” Yoongi agrees, the same way he always does, accepting Jimin’s correction, “Fake dating.”

“What’s the harm?” Jimin tries, and some of that hope slips into his tone. Yoongi squints at him, searching for something.

Maybe he finds what he was looking for, maybe he doesn’t, but Jimin doesn’t really care because at the end of his scrutiny, Yoongi shrugs, swivels back to look at his computer screen, and says, “Sure, whatever.”