Chapter 19

Jimin texts Yoongi at ten and invites him over for lunch, by his mom’s request. Yoongi doesn’t tell him that he just got off work and was only going to get, like, an hour of sleep until after he’s already agreed and showed up at the door, half dead.

Yoongi always shows up at least half an hour early, even though Jimin always tells him the right time.

He’s got bags under his eyes and he’s hunched a little, slumping into Jimin as soon as Jimin slings an arm around his waist.

“Are you okay?” Jimin asks, nervously, as he leads Yoongi towards the couch.

“I’m so fucking exhausted, I didn’t get to sleep yesterday and I just worked until nine,” Yoongi explains, and Jimin punches him, lightly, in the shoulder as they fall into the couch together.

“You should’ve just said no, I would’ve understood!” Jimin admonishes.

Yoongi shakes his head weakly, and mumbles, “No, no, it’s fine, I’m awake.”

'I’m awake’ is apparently code for 'not at all’ because it’s not three minutes before Yoongi is curled on his side with his head pillowed on Jimin’s thigh, fast asleep and Jimin, without thinking about it, petting his hair.

His mom returns from the store with their lunch half an hour later, peeking around the couch and looking worried as soon as she sees what’s waiting for her.

“Is he okay?”

“Yeah,” Jimin promises, looking down at Yoongi, “he just worked late.” He looks younger somehow. Not that he looks old, other times, but, carefree. There’s no worry, no irritation, his mouth slack and hanging open a little instead of set in a thin line, his eyes shut gently, his hair sticking up a little at the back where it was pressed against Jimin’s jeans before he shifted and turned his face closer to Jimin’s knee. He looks soft.

He’s cute when he’s sleeping,” his mom says. She’s already gone before Jimin thinks that, as a boyfriend, he should probably think Yoongi is cute.

When he softly agrees, “Yeah,” unnecessarily aloud, it’s not because it’s his duty, but just because he means it.