Chapter 16

It becomes somewhat routine, at least for nights where Jimin’s practice coincides with Yoongi’s work schedule and he’s in desperate need of some artificial energy to brave the walk from the studio to his house.

Yoongi, after the sixth time Jimin shows up to hang out with him, stops pretending he doesn’t get an employee discount and starts giving Jimin his drinks for free. He also stops pretending like he doesn’t like Jimin’s company, and talks to Jimin instead of ignoring him to stare at his phone screen.

It took Jimin a while to figure out, but, anytime he brought up music, Yoongi would come alive. His entire demenour would change, his eyes would brighten with an excitement Jimin had never seen before, and he’d talk to the point of almostrambling, something Jimin never expected Yoongi could do. When he got tired of talking, or of Yoongi mumbling a few words to answer any question as concisely as possible, he’d just mention the beat of a new song he was dancing to or rack his brain from a recent hip hop album and listen to Yoongi launch into long winded rants about production value and impressive rapping.

It was easier to figure out topics Yoongi didn’t like, which, though he wasn’t interested in most things, were mostly limited to their fake relationship and his job.

Even though Jimin knew Yoongi didn’t like it, he had no filter, so he’d ask anyways.

“So, are you just gonna work here forever?”

“Are you serious?” Yoongi gives Jimin a familiar dirty look and Jimin shrugs.

“Yeah. You’re already in your twenties and you don’t go to school. Is this it?”

“Do you ever think before you talk?”

“No,” Yoongi laughs and mumbles something about appreciating the honesty, and Jimin continues, “If you’re not gonna do this, what are you gonna do, then?”

And, as fascinating as it is to listen to Yoongi critique other people’s music, Jimin’s never enjoyed a conversation more than he did hearing Yoongi talk about all the equipment he’s saving up to buy and the programs he’s already gotten that he uses to produce beats and how he and Namjoon and sometimes Hoseok write raps together and how they’re actually not that bad and they’ve done a few underground shows on Yoongi’s nights off and people liked them a lot and once Yoongi saves up enough and can start making tracks they’re only going to get better.