THIRTEEN

"Sorry, I have a training session during lunch," Leonard mumbled through a mouthful of sandwich, waving to us as he briskly walked past the table with his sports bag in hand. Sofia didn't even look up as she waved him good bye, too busy focusing on her meal to even look up.

"You glutton," I teased, Sofia giving me a faux frown as she poked me in the side, only able to hold the face for a moment before breaking out into a wide grin.

"Nothing is gonna get between me and my mum's pasta bake, alright?" Sofia said, stabbing her fork through a clump of pasta and waving it in front of my face before popping it into her mouth, nodding in satisfaction. 

"Like I said, glutton," I re-emphasised, Sofia just humming as she ignored my comment, though she smiled as she chewed. She managed to look up from her meal as she felt Rachel approaching, her brow rising as Rachel was carrying a stack of library books in her hands, her lunch box balancing on top of the pile.

"Studying at lunch?" I asked, Rachel giving me a sheepish smile.

"I have to work on my history paper. Let's just say that... my mum wasn't too happy with my last grade," Rachel said, waving at the two of us with her fingers as she wobbled off under the weight of her books.

"Well, Rachel and Leo are out," Sofia said after swallowing, looking around the courtyard for the rest of our friends. "Did Benny make it out of the lunch line alive?"

"Probably not," I snorted, squinting my eyes through the window of the cafeteria to try and find Benny, but to no success. "What about Parker?"

"Dead," Sofia said, smirking a little as she referred to our textual conversation in the morning. I laughed as she motioned her throwing him out of the train and a loud splat, Sofia making animated sound effects as she tried not to laugh alongside me. 

"Really though?" I asked, Sofia shrugging. 

"I think he said he had detention," Sofia said, before leaning in to bring her lips close to my ear. "Heard he was chatting up a girl in class, even though the teacher told him to stop talking. And you know Parker..."

"He doesn't stop talking," I finished, Sofia laughing, her breath tickling my neck. I was suddenly overly alert to how the side of her body was pressed into mine, her thigh hot against my leg. 

"Exactly," Sofia said, pulling back a little to return to her food. I felt myself calm as the distance between us increased, my hand picking at the sandwich in front of me. Sofia noticed that I wasn't exactly fond of the bland bread in my hands, and nudged my in the side. I gave her a confused look as a forkful of pasta hovered in front of my face, Sofia grinning. 

"Try some," Sofia said, eyes soft as she wiggled the fork a little. I feigned a gasp as I met her eyes, Sofia's lips twitching.

"You're sacrificing your precious pasta bake? For me? Is the world ending?"

"Shut up and just eat it, Wes," Sofia said, pressing the fork against my closed lips, which swiftly opened. Sofia laughed as some of the sauce smeared against the corner of my mouth as I clamped down on the fork, which was pulled out from my lips moments after. Chewing quickly, finding the pasta a little too salty, I told Sofia that it was good, the girl beside me glowing as she nodded emphatically.

"Yeah, my mum makes really good pasta bake. No one does it like her!"

I bet Nico could.

I mentally flinched at my own thought, swallowing the morsel of pasta hastily, the bolus suddenly difficult to get down. As I did so, Sofia let out a stifled laugh, her finger pointing to a spot on my face where I apparently had some sauce stuck on. I wiped at the supposed spot, but Sofia just snorted gracefully, shaking her head. As I continued to miss the spot, Sofia carefully looked around the area, before quickly leaning forward to press a chaste kiss to that part of my face. She pulled back equally as fast, licking her lips a little as she blushed up at me, eyes bright.