FORTY-SEVEN

"Good morning," Bell chirped, making me stop in my tracks. The elderly woman glanced up from where she was flipping pancakes, giving me a small smile as her eyes crinkled in the corners. Bell hadn't been home the night before - on a date with someone from her lawn bowls club according to Nico - so seeing her this morning immediately slapped the consciousness out of my head. Bell chuckled with amusement as I stood there, limbs frozen stiff and mouth open wide. "Come now, don't be shy, honey. Take a seat, the pancakes should be ready soon."

"O-Okay," I said, hastily taking a seat at the kitchen counter. Glancing down at my clothes, I grimaced, cheeks heating in embarrassment. Without any of my own clothes, I had borrowed some of Nico's, and the over-sized fit of them made it glaringly obvious. Peeking up at Bell, who had since turned back to focus on her sizzling blueberry pancakes, I fiddled with the hem of Nico's hoodie, feeling the need to say something.

"U-Um, thank you for letting me stay here all the time," I stammered, kicking myself under the table at the shaky rhythm of my words. Bell turned back to me again, nodding happily.

"Oh, no thanks is necessary! Nicolas always seems happier when you're here, so I'm happy that you keep him company," Bell said, lips quirking up as she looked me up and down, her grin only widening. "Hopefully my Nicolas makes you happy too?"

"He does!" I squeaked out, nodding a little too enthusiastically. Bell let out another laugh at my response, seemingly pleased. 

"Good! Oh, but I can't believe he's still in his room sleeping while you're already up and about! He should be preparing refreshments for you," Bell said, clicking her tongue. Smiling a little at the memory of Bell scolding Nico all those months ago for not offering me refreshments when I visited, I found myself relaxing in my seat as Bell muttered something to herself about Nico's lack of hospitality.

"It's alright, he needs his rest," I said, Bell giving me a sly look over her shoulder.

"Oh? Was he busy with something last night?" Bell asked, her mouth twitching as she tried to suppress her grin. Immediately grasping her meaning, my breath became lodged in my throat, causing me to cough. Covering my heated face with my hands, I tried to look anywhere but at the woman whose shoulders were now shaking with amusement.

Oh, she definitely knows why Nico was busy last night. 

"Talking! We were just talking. About things. You know, important things," I frantically said, chuckling pathetically.

At my words, which were clearly lies, Bell just hummed and nodded, her mannerisms so much like her grandson's. Her hands were nimble as she swept the pancakes onto a plate, garnishing the sides with some sliced fruit. Gingerly stepping towards me, sliding the plate across the counter along with a bottle of syrup, Bell cleared her throat.

"Wesley, I don't mean to overstep, but Nico told me a little about your situation..." Bell said, giving me a warm yet sad look, resting her hand on mine. 

"Oh," I replied awkwardly, throat scratching. 

"I don't know if Nico's told you, but he... he can probably relate a lot more than you think," Bell said, squeezing my hand. "His parents..."

"He... He told me, about his parents," I said softly, Bell's eyes widening in surprise. She seemed genuinely shocked for a moment, head tilting to the side as she looked at me in wonderment. 

"He did?" Bell asked, head shifting to lean towards the other side. I nodded again, answering her question, but only made her blink a few more times. After thinking through things for a few more silent moments, Bell pulled my hand up softly, bringing her other hand to clasp it tightly. Her eyes seemed to sparkle - with tears or amazement, I couldn't quite tell. "He must really treasure you then. I'm glad."