FORTY-SIX

The fan above my head whirred lazily, casting lines of moonlight against the ceiling. Nico's house was quiet, with only the sound of Nico's breaths audible to my ears. While everything contained within the four walls of his room was calm, I alone was a storm of emotions, my mind unable to push what happened earlier from my mind.

Shaking my head, as if physically rattling it will make the memories dribble from my ears, I turned to Nico. My fingers twitched as I ached to grab onto his body, to press myself against the broad expanse of his back and breathe in the scent of him. However, Nico was fast asleep, and I knew that suddenly having a fully grown boy suddenly squeezing around him would definitely rouse him from his slumber. Instead of imitating a boa constrictor on his prone form, I carefully reached out and gingerly held onto the hem of his shirt with my thumb and forefinger. Although Nico rarely wore shirts to bed, I had scolded him earlier about how the nights were still cold and he would catch a virus, the boy begrudgingly throwing on a shirt he found under a pile of clothes on his armchair.

For what seemed like an hour and change, I just stayed in this position, wanting to feel more of his skin on my skin, but not wanting to wake him up either. It wasn't until Nico let out a grumble, throat raw, his body rolling over to face me. 

My noise of surprise was smothered by his clothed chest, his arms wrapping around my simultaneously to pull me closer. Lips resting on my head, Nico let out a sleep-hazed sigh.

"How long have you been awake for?" Nico asked, his words a little hard to decipher through his sleep-riddled grumble. A let out a whisper of a laugh, embarrassed, wrapping my arms around his middle. Face hidden in his embrace, I shook my head.

"Not that long," I said, Nico snorting with disbelief. Ignoring my lie, Nico spoke against the crown of my head again, left hand running up and down my back idly.

"Thinking about it again?"

"Hard not to," I said, clearing my throat as my words cracked noticeably. 

"Wes isn't like dad," Jamie said. 

Not like... dad?

Jamie's words slammed against the walls of my skull, my brain turning into mush as it tried to comprehend what it just heard. Not like dad? Like dad? Different? Jamie's didn't outright say it, but it was clear what she was insinuating. Dad not only cheated on mum with someone. He cheated on her with a man. My mind reeled at the thought, brain in complete anarchy. 

If dad left mum for a man, does that mean he was always attracted to men? Was he ever attracted to mum? Was he gay, or bi, or something else entirely?

Was he like me? Or was I like him?

Mum's face turned ashen, her whole body shaking as she took a step back, and then another and another. Her eyes never left me, the expression held inside them striking me to the core.

Abhorrence. Fear. Betrayal.

It was like she was looking at dad.

"M-Mum," I choked out, stretching out a hand. Mum just shook her head at my words, eyes red as tears began to slip from them, down her gaunt cheeks and over the fingers pressed against her mouth. She didn't make a sound as she quickly turned, forgetting the groceries scattered on the floor, forgetting to even take off her soiled shoes. Tracking black dirt up the stairs, mum disappeared, the heavy slam of a door making me flinch.

Jamie stood there, shocked for a moment, before quickly turning to me. Pressing her palms against my cheeks firmly, Jamie forced me to look at her, pulling my gaze away from mum's retreating footprints.