THIRTY-FOUR

"You're hanging out with Benny today, right?" Nico asked, yawning at the end of his sentence. Laughing at his tired voice wafting through the phone, I hummed out a 'yes' as I leaned over the bathroom counter, spitting out my mouthful of toothpaste. Splashing water over my face and smoothing down a few wayward tufts of hair, quickly got changed as I listened to Nico begin to drift back to sleep. After working the night shift at the bar last night, Nico was exhausted, but still managed to call me around the time I woke up. Remembering his groggy voice hitting my still half-asleep ears, my stomach tightened and a grin crept its way onto my face.

"Go back to sleep, Nico," I urged gently, Nico grumbling something sleepily, the sound of his sheets rustling. 

"Mm-hm," Nico sighed, a slight blush splashing across my face as I held the phone close to my ear, his relaxed, sleep-coated breath right beside me. "Have fun with Benny, Wes. I'll see you later."

"Yeah, see you later," I echoed, hanging up the phone. As much as I wanted to spend all day with Nico today, I had started to neglect Benny just a little, but for some reason he wasn't pestering me to keep him company like he usually did during the holidays. It was a little strange, since Benny is usually always knocking on my door unexpectedly during the holidays forcing me to hang out with him, yet this time he had only mildly made plans with me over the phone. I would be lying if I wasn't a little concerned, but when we talked nothing seemed amiss. When I did see him, he was the same old Benny.

It didn't take me long to bus to Benny's place, and when I got there I found that the front door was already open and waiting for me, as always. Walking in and locking the door behind me, I kicked my shoes off and walked upstairs and into Benny's bedroom, not bothering to knock. When I walked in, my mouth immediately dropped open. Expecting to see Benny either passed out on his bed or splayed out with a game controller in his hand, I was surprised to see instead that Benny was half buried under a pile of seemingly unwashed clothes, a distraught expression on his face. When he saw me, he immediately threw a large bag at my face.

"Throw anything that smells like it hasn't been washed since Christmas last year in there," Benny ordered, a faded T-shirt that was mysteriously damp hurtling towards my face straight after. Clumsily dodging the projectile, I gave Benny an unamused look as he let out a 'tsk' under his breath, sniffing another shirt before crinkling his nose.

"Did you just invite me over to help you with your chores?" I asked incredulously, shaking the bag in my hand. "Really, Benny?"

"Of course not," Benny said, waving away my words as his lips curled up in a cheeky grin. "I just wanted to enjoy your company. And it so happens that I can enjoy it while we clean my room."

"I hate you," I said flatly, Benny cupping his chin as he wiggled his fingers, lashes fluttering. 

"And I looooove you too," Benny sung jokingly, making me throw a discarded pair of jeans at his face.

"Gross," I said, rolling my eyes slightly. Benny's smile dropped slightly as he tilted his head to the side, staring with a tight expression on his face. Raising a brow, I returned his odd gaze with a questioning look.

Shaking his head, Benny rummaged around on the ground, throwing me a single, stained sock. 

"Nah, I was just trying to figure out how long that hoodie's been unwashed for. I think it's been less than a month so it should be fine," Benny said, shrugging emphatically. Giving him an incredulous sigh, I picked up the hoodie he was gesturing too from the back rest of his desk chair, stuffing it into the laundry bag.

"The fact that you don't know when you last washed it means it should be washed, you filthy cretin," I said, Benny snickering.

"Less name-calling, more sniffing my judgemental friend," Benny said, throwing another garment at my face.  It continued on a lot like this for another hours or so, and by the end of it my nose was spent, back aching and arms tired, but at least Benny's floor was visible. When the over-loaded washing machine began whirring, the two of us moved into the lounge room, Benny bringing over some snacks and drinks as I booted up his Playstation.