**CHAPTER TWELVE**

Charlotte's POV

I'm not too big on doctors, so going to an ancient doctors office caused some trouble for my nerves. For this reason, I was really fidgety as we walked into his office. Not even the guard in the other room, waddling like a penguin and hitting her head with a magazine, could help me.

Piper looked at me and smiled softly, holding my hands in hers. "You're going to be okay," she assured, charmspeak seeping into her every word. I calmed down, but then I saw Asclepius and my nerves returned instantly.

I had daydreamed for a bit, but then Asclepius turned his attention to me.

"Oh, my dear Charlotte. Suffering from a shattered heart, broken spirit/soul. You need to enjoy yourself more, heal your heart and mend your broken spirit/soul."

I stammered and looked away, noticing the look Leo was giving me.

He looked at Leo and frowned. "My dear boy, you need to talk to someone. Express yourself..."

"Sir, please don't continue..." Leo insisted, looking at the rest of us.

"Leo," I began. "Hey, I'm fine. Don't worry..." he assured, seeming nervous.

I nodded slowly, trying my best not to worry. But it didn't work.

The Physician's Curse- Check!
Athena Parthenos- (Hopefully) Check!
Off to beat this Dirt Face- Check?

Later In The Heat Of Battle

"Leo Valdez! You better not be leaving without me!" I yelled at Leo, who was getting ready to take off, a smile plastered on my face.

I turned around and shot an arrow straight through an evil Cyclops's hand. The cyclops bellowed in agony, clutching its injured hand with the other. I twirled my bow and jumped onto it, stabbing the cyclops in the chest. He turned to dust and I raced back to Leo, jumping on. I wrapped my arms around him and we flew off.

"C'mon Leo! Let's beat this Princess of Dirt!" I cheered. Festus stopped flying around, staying in place as he flapped his wings.

"Charlotte..." Leo reached behind and grabbed my arm, moving me in front of him.

He looked sad. "Leo? What's wrong? We're going to win this!" I smiled at him, but he kept his sad expression. I looked at him and held his face in my hands.

"Don't you dare leave me, Leonidas Valdez. You're going to get out of this alive. Everyone is," I scolded.

"I have the vial, so you can't use it!" I said, reaching for the vial in my pocket. Leo smiled slightly and took another vial out of his belt.

I looked at my vial and it was empty. "Leo, please.." I pleaded.

I had to do this, now. I took the promise ring out of my pocket and held his hand. I placed it in his and closed it. "I love you and I always will," I smiled through sobs.

"Charlotte..." he murmured before he leaned in and kissed me.

I kissed him back, rubbing his cheekbone.

"I love you, Valdez," he said, pulling away hesitantly. "Valdez?" I asked, but he never got to answer.

He pulled my arm and pulled me off.

"LEO!" I screamed as I fell. I saw him look down, tears in his eyes. He flew off in a trail of fire, and went straight for Gaea.

Piper's POV

I screamed as Charlotte fell towards the Earth. "Jason! Charlotte's falling!" I yelled at Jason, who had just seen Leo flying off.

Jason summoned the wind, which cushioned her fall.

I ran over and saw Charlotte in tears. "He's gone. And I waited this long to tell him... I'm an idiot!" she yelled, frustrated.

She was looking up, and with curiosity getting the best of me, I looked up. Festus had Gaea in his grip dragging her away from her power source.

I saw a small figure fly towards the ball of fire that was Leo and Festus. Was that Octavian?

There was no time for cheering for the death of a Teddy Bear Killer, because there was a huge explosion in the sky.

And Gaea was gone.

I cried into Jason's shirt. "Leo.." I whispered.

Charlotte yelped in pain. I looked over and saw Charlotte on the floor, wincing. I rushed over and knelt beside her. She had a large, sharp piece of metal in her leg. "Piper! It hurts!" she cried.

"Guys! Help!" I yelled to the campers.

Charlotte's POV

The Next Day

So, I guess a nice piece of metal flew off of Festus and landed in my leg. That piece of metal just so happened to pierce right through my bone, which hurt like Hades.

I was going to wear a cast and wobble around on crutches for the next few months. Great...

And to top that all off, we were going to have a ceremony for all those who fell in battle. Including a specific Valdez boy.

But I was going to be okay. He wasn't going to come back, but at least he was alive and happy somewhere.

There was a hole in my 'shattered heart', and I was going to have to fill it back up and mend it somehow.

Even if it meant getting over the one, the only, Leo Valdez.

Which was pretty hard considering the fact that I was and always will be, completely in love with him.

But you have to start somewhere, no?