"His Smile, His Promise"

※ I'm just gonna close requests and end this book soon.

"Big brother! It's time to wake up!"

"...Five more minutes..."

"I said, wake up!"

It's annoyingly painful to get up in the morning. But since I am a prince, I have an obligation to leave my beloved bed and do my duty as the next heir to the throne.

『 I am Prince Shun. 』

My loud little brother rushes out of my chambers after successfully waking me. I get dressed and I fix myself up before heading downstairs. This everyday life is plain...
I take a few steps to the nearest window, where I can see the vast beauty of my kingdom. But I see mostly green. Oh how I wish I can go visit the town. It's much more bustling and lively there.

Oh, there's another visitor. Ugh, maybe it's another prissy princess...Should I just stay up here and pretend to be sick? Maybe...although, I'll be forced to attend to the guests anyway. There's no helping it. This is my life now.

"Good morning, brother."

"Yes, it is indeed a good morning to you as well, dear sister."

I found my quiet little sister finishing her breakfast in the grand hall. Ah, this sister of mine. All she does is study in the library. She doesn't even bother to attend to her suitors. Obviously, she doesn't want to be married off to another kingdom yet.

"Ah, yes. Business is fine as usual..."

Huh? It's a prince. I've never seen him before. He's probably here for trading business or something.

♕♕♕

After eating my breakfast, I head out straight to the fields and to the stables. There, I saw that same prince earlier this morning. He was petting one of the horses. Ah, it's only now that I get to study his features properly. Hmm, good build, broad shoulders. What stands out the most is his violet locks. Wow, they look real soft...

"Wonderful day for a ride, isn't it...?"

Eh? Did he notice me? Or is he talking to the horse?

"Prince Shun."

"W-Were you talking to me?"

"Yes."

As he turned to face me, a beautiful smile landed upon his handsome face. I was awestruck, it was as if I was staring at a wonderful portrait in a gallery. He's wearing glasses as well.

『 He is Prince Aren. 』

It was late in the afternoon. I fled to the palace library, since I wanted to take my mind off things. But I couldn't stop thinking about him. The way he smiled at me, it was too pure. I felt my cheeks burn up at the thought of how cute he was.

Prince Aren...

He seems like a much better prince than I am. Compare the both us, it's obvious that he's stronger and (I bet) much smarter. Back there at the stables, I didn't even have the courage to talk to him.

...I'm such an idiot. I'll go apologise later.

Sighing to myself, I walk quietly to my favourite place. The garden.

♔♔♔

The wind was nice. It was peaceful, quiet, tranquil. Just like the life that I want. The sun was about to set.

"I didn't think that I'd find you here, prince."

"Eh? P-Prince Aren?"

"Sorry for startling you, Prince Shun."

Ah, there's that smile of his again. It's very entrancing.

"Li-Listen...about earlier..."

"It's okay. Don't mind it."

As the days passed, Aren and I became more familiar with each other. He always had that bright smile with him wherever we went. It was the only thing that could make my day better.

Two months later...

"Shun...I hate to be the bearer of bad news but..."

"Aren..."

One day, Aren said that he had to leave. There was a war starting in the south, you see. Aren had no choice.

"When will you leave?"

"A few minutes from now."

That was the last day I saw Aren's smile.

Before we finally parted, and we bid our goodbyes, Aren promised me something.

"I will come back for you, Shun. I promise."

I guess he broke that promise.

The End.