The Absolute Worst

A/N: I've been having some serious writers block. but i played an extremely sweaty pickup basketball game, took a cold shower, drove for three hours, read interestingly intimate gelphie moments in the book... and I was suddenly inspired to write. :)

Galinda's POV

I woke to a bed that was the exact way I felt.

Empty.

Why did I feel empty? I've always woken up to a bed where only I had been sleeping. As I ponder my emptiness, I pull the dark sheets higher.

Wait.

Dark sheets? Only Elphaba had dark sheet-

SWEET OZ.

I was in Elphaba's bed!

I quickly jump out of it, but I don't plan the action well, and I end up on the cold floor. My backside is in a bit of pain but I'm in too much shock to care.

Why was I in Elphaba's bed? What in Oz happened last night, anyway? I wrack my brain to remember.

...

I was talking with a few girls. They were droning on about their sympathy for me, since I was roomies with "the artichoke". Of course, I could not under any circumstances, lose my reputation. So I had to agree. I didn't want to, but sometimes we all must sacrifice. So I played along.

"Oh yes, it's simply horrendible! She's such a bookworm, and it's too creepy for me to handle." The girls "aw" in reply. "But ladies, you must understand that I am roomed with her no matter what. It's awful. I have to pretend to like her, when really, I think she's the absolute worst." I say, although it hurt to say it. Do keep in mind, I was only pretending for the greater good of my social status.

"The worst..?" Says a voice. I turn to see the only green girl I know, her facial expression showing hurt.

Damn it all!, I thought. Elphaba overheard.

It turns out she was in the same hallway as us. She ran the opposite direction, seeming very upset. The girls snickered at her.

"Oh... I should probably check on her."

That's when they stopped snickering at her and instead gawked at me.

"Y-you know, to make sure she doesn't get too mad. I mean... Nobody likes over cooked broccoli!" I said half heartedly, scurrying out. As I left, they laughed at my mean remark. I sighed in relief. My social placement was saved.

But my friendship with Elphaba, well.. That was questionable at the moment.

"Elphie," I called down the hall. Not too loudly of course. It was already getting late. I spotted her entering the library, but stopped her just in time.

"Phew, I couldn't stand being with those girls any longer."

She ignores me, offense still stinging at her frown. She turns away. Guilt fills me up.

I never wanted to hurt her.

"Elphaba, I.. I didn't mean those things. Back there. You know that. Don't you?"

Her back is still to me, and she's stopped grabbing the handle to the door of the library. "Oh." She seems relieved.

Why? She should know that I would never say that about her.

Then I realize.

"You thought... You thought I meant it..?" I ask quietly. She turns to face me. Tears brim her eyes.