Pink Roses Or Red Roses?

A/N: I feel like that last chapter was kinda cute. With the whole flower thing, and the grins, right?

Yeah, now that that's out of the way...

Elphaba's POV

"I know I said cafe, but I meant the convenience store.., Unless you'd rather go to the caf-"

"No, it's fine, Elphie. What were you planning on buying?"

"Straws."

"Straws..?"

"Yes, so it's easier to drink water."

"But aren't you allergic to water?"

"It's only limited to a skin condition. And only the purest of water, anyway." I say, catching sight of the doors for the store.

We speed up, running inside, because it's still cold out. It's still February, after all.

"Okay, Elphie- you find the straws. I have to go run down a few items of my own." And with that, Galinda is gone in a flash of pink.

Pink. I smile, remembering the flower that was in my hair.

What was it that she said?

Pink looks nice with green?

Pink complements the green?

"Pink goes good with green," says a voice behind me. I turn to see Fiyero, his eyes on the flower in my hair.

My stomach was churning. I had to tell him that I didn't want to be with him.

I didn't want to, though. It could break his heart.

But if I didn't tell him, and I let us grow into a couple, I could break my own heart.

Not because I'd be with Fiyero, but because I..

Wouldn't be with Galinda.

"Fiyero, I-" suddenly I couldn't speak. I feel a burden in my throat.

I'm overwhelmed; I'm about to cry. But I can't cry. No, not in front of him. Not in the middle of a store, with Galinda humming in the aisles.

Galinda.

Just the thought of her hurt but sent chills through me. I feel a tear drop out of my eye, and suddenly I can't stop them as they fall down my cheeks.

He wraps his arms around me, and lets me cry on his shoulder. He has no words, but the quickness of his beating heart says enough.

"I'm- I'm so sorry, F-Fiyero!" I cry into his shirt, which is now stained with tears.

"There's nothing to be sorry for, Fae."

Oh, Fiyero, if only you knew. Only if you realized that I've screwed everything up by thinking I was in love with you. I wish you could see that my heart belongs to another.

At least, I'm pretty sure it does.

His hands cup my face, his fingers wiping away the tears. He leans in, kissing me. The hairs on the back of my neck stand up, and nothing feels right.

For a few seconds I try to get used to it, but everything feels out of place. I pull away, both from his lips and his grasp.

"I.. I can't." I say quietly, turning away from him.

"Fae.."

Suddenly I hear a loud thump! and the familiar clicking of shoes on the ground. I make my way down to the other side of the aisle, being careful not to step on a few pink roses that lie on the ground.