Chapter 21: Town of Emotions

It was night when Raven rose from her sleep. Confused about her dream, she rubbed the tired out of her eyes.

Was it a dream?

The gods have been known to do some strange things. Raven decided not to question it, to just go with the flow.

She stood up, looking out the window. Raven never realized how many stars there are in the night sky. She truly appreciates the beauty that she is seeing.

As quiet as a mouse, Raven crept downstairs to the lobby area. Yuna was still up, tending to some costumers. Yuna noticed her, smiling brightly.

"Ah, Raven! Did you have a nice rest? Please come sit, I'll make you some dinner."

Raven smiled, grateful for her kindness. It wasn't everyday that Raven was introduced to kindness herself. She sat down, placing her hands in her lap. The costumers all looked at her, finding her posture weird.

Must be a noble.

A few minutes later, Yuna came back with a plate of food and a glass of water. Raven's face lit up, finally realizing that she did not eat at Daegu.

"Thank you so much, Yuna. I really appreciate your kindness towards me."

"It is not a problem, dear. It is rare for us to get travellers here, many just take a boat to Newsham. Tell me, why did you decide to go through the desert?"

Newsham? That's in Aria. Just how far did the gods take me?

Raven was thoughtful for a second, trying to figure out an answer.

Oh right! The temple.

"I came to see the Temple of Emotions. I am following Lumina's Pilgrimage to find some answers about this world's history. I never realized how treacherous the trip here would be."

Yuna perked up, as did all the costumers. Many kids nowadays avoid the topic of history, finding it boring. It warmed their hearts to see someone so young so passionate about it.

"We will take great care of you here. Stay as long as you need it, my dear."

"Thank you, Yuna. I cannot express how grateful I am."

They continued to chat while Raven ate. After she was done, Raven excused herseld to take a walk outside. Before she could step out, Yuna called out.

"Oh! There is a curfew at midnight! We have had some issues with bandits this past week. It is just to ensure everyone's safety."

"Oh alright, I won't be out for long. I am just going to take a look around town."

"Alright stay safe!"

Raven walked out, blast with the cold desert air right away. She scanned the surrounding area around the inn, noticing all the Arian guards. Before she could even take a step, a guard approached her.

"Hello, ma'am. There is a curfew at midnight due to bandit activity in this area. If you are seen out at all past then, you will be escorted back to the inn immediately. If you have any issues, please tell the nearest guard. Also, it is recommended that you stay in town, for the bandits are active at night. Leave town now, and we will not be responsible for your safety. Understand?"

"Uh... y-yes I do. Thank you for informing me."

"Ok good. Have a safe night, ma'am."

The guard went back to his post, standing firmly next to the stairs. She jumped down the stairs, excited to explore.

First things first, the Temple of Emotions.

Raven made a beeline for the temple, wanting to see what it looked like on the inside. Before she could enter, a guard stopped her.

"I'm sorry miss. The temple is closed right now. We cannot risk the bandits getting in. Feel free to look around the outside though."

"Oh! I didn't realize, I am quite sorry for bothering you. I'll stop by in the morning then."

Raven turned around, placing her hands behind her back. She continued to explore the small town, noting how peaceful it was.

You would think for being right next to the Temple of Emotions, the town would be more... lively. Well... I guess it is nighttime.

Suddenly, a frantic couple came running up to her.

"HAVE YOU SEEN OUR KIDS?"

Taken back, Raven shook her head no, stepping back a little.

"Where and when did you last see them?"

"By the pond, they were just there a few minutes ago. The bandits have been known to hang around there at night. Please gods let them be safe."

They ran off, heading to a guard, frantically yelling. Raven watched them run off, frowning to herself.

Something feels off. The corruption here just got slightly higher than normal. I should investigate...

Raven rushed to the pond, hoping to find some clues. As she grew closer to the pond, the corruption got thicker. It wasn't dangerous... yet.

At the pond, Raven noted that there were tracks heading towards the east, out of the town entirely. Some of the children's toys sat at the shore, it was easy to tell that they were taken while they were playing. No guards had watch over the area. It was a prime target for the bandits to kidnap people.

Ok, so I am looking for a boy and a girl. Time to head out.

Before she could move towards the direction she came, she was surrounded by bandits.

"Look at what we have here boys! Our boss will love this catch!"

Disgusted, Raven grimaced.

Sexist.

But... I need them to take me to their base. I have to figure out this mess.

Raven surrendered herself, admitting defeat.

"Look, I do not want to get hurt, so just take me wherever you need me to go."

"Aaaah the submissive type. The boss will ADORE you."

I hate you all.