Unexpected Happenings

Chapter 19

This new sire bond thing was quickly becoming a major pain in my rear end, because the boys, Remus, and Salazar began squabbling over who was going to walk directly beside me. Salazar threatened to hex them all, and Klaus said he would eat them if they didn't back away. When we got to the hospital wing, Madam Pomfrey's face went through a range of quick emotions. First was happiness, because I was back safely, second was dismay at the sight of the boys, and third was happiness at the sight of the boys. I fought off the urge to burst into silent laughter, instead I just grinned at her. She shooed me over to one of the beds, and nearly had to fight Salazar just to get near enough to examine me. I think she cast a stinging jinx that landed on his buttocks.

"What do you think Poppy?" Klaus asked, looking at her with concern.

"Well I have only seen this one other time. In fact, it was when you lads were in school." She said pointing to Snape, Remus, and Sirius.

"What do you mean?" Snape asked.

"A fourth year Slytherin, Regulus Black came to me unable to talk. He had the same symptoms as Miss Salvatore." She said.

"My brother?" Sirius asked in shock. "I didn't even know about it."

"He didn't want to tell you because a fourth year Hufflepuff had cursed him. He didn't want it to get around that a Hufflepuff had cursed a Slytherin. Regulus knew you'd pick on him relentlessly, and he was afraid his fellow Slytherins would ridicule him. He never told me the name of the one who did it."

"Well the good news is, that he was able to talk again." Sirius said, glancing at me. "So how do we cure her?"

"The good news is we can. The bad news is, it's going to take a month or so to do it, and it may drive you slightly insane." Madam Pomfrey said, looking at me. "It caused Regulus to go a little mad."

I stared at her with wide eyes. "What do you mean 'mad'." I wrote.

"It was a homemade jinx, and the only way to cure it is with a Babbling Potion. Now a Babbling Potion causes one to babble uncontrollably, and because he couldn't talk, Regulus had all kinds of thoughts rambling around in his head. He told me later that at times he thought his head would explode. It built up so much inside his head, that one day it just burst forth out of his mouth. He spent two days in here, staring at the ceiling, babbling about nonsense."

The boys, the guys, Remus, and Sirius burst out laughing, and I glared at them.

"It's not funny you guys!" Hermione yelled, though she tried to hide a snicker of her own.

"Oh sure, everyone just laugh at me." I wrote, and rolled my eyes at them. Then turned to Madam Pomfrey. "So how do we go about doing this?"

"Well, you need to drink a babbling potion every morning until it finally breaks free."

"Will it cause lasting effects?" Salazar asked, trying to hide a snicker, and I glared at him.

"No, Regulus seemed fine after he stopped babbling. However, I don't have any babbling potion brewed, because it not necessarily something I keep handy."

"Poppy, would you like me to brew you up a batch." Snape asked.

"Yes Severus, if you would be so kind."

He nodded his head, and quickly strode out the door.

"So does this mean I have to stay here in the castle for the rest of Christmas vacation?" I wrote.

"No, other than not being able to talk, you're perfectly fine. You can go home, but I want you to rest for the next few days and not do anything to strenuous. Once Severus has brewed the potion, I'll send you enough to last until classes start back."