Piper XXVIII

"Piper XXVIII," Phoebe read.

PIPER CORNERED THE PRINCESS as Jason and Leo went off to check out the living fur coats.

"You want them shopping for their deaths?" Piper demanded.

"Pretty much," Percy said. "I mean, that's what it sounds like to me. I'm surprised they're not dying from boredom."

"Normally I would've, especially with the clothes, but the other things she had in the mall were pretty cool." Leo admitted. "I just wish that she wasn't the one selling them."

...Leo laughed as he tried on a hat that seemed to be made from enchanted raccoon fur. Its ringed tail twitched, and its little legs wiggled frantically as Leo walked. 

The Stolls looked interested.

"How much did she say that was?" Connor asked.

"Not worth it, trust me. You're better off just taping an actual raccoon to your head." Leo told him. 

Jason was ogling the men's sportswear.

Boy's interested in shopping for clothes? A definite sign they were under an evil spell.

"If I could, I'd just let my mom shop for all my clothes." Percy chuckled. 

Piper glared at the princess. "Who are you?"

"I told you, my dear. I'm the Princess of Colchis."

"Where's Colchis?"

...[Princess]"Where was Colchis, you mean. My father ruled the far shores of the Black Sea, as far to the east as a Greek ship could sail in those days. But Colchis is no more- lost eons ago."

"Eons!" Connor exclaimed. "How old is this lady?"

...The princess laughed. "A lady should avoid asking or answering that question. Let's just say the, ah, immigration process to enter your country took a while. My patron finally brought me through. She made all this possible."

"She?" Annabeth picked up with a frown. "So she's not working directly under the giants?" 

If that's true, then she's the only one who it could be... Annabeth gulped. Is she really that powerful?

...Piper's mouth tasted like metal. "Your patron..."

"Oh, yes. She doesn't bring just anyone through, mind you- only those who have special talents, such as me.

Did she summon more people like Medea? Annabeth wondered. How many people did she resurrect? What kind of people were they?

There were so many evil mortals in Greek mythology to choose from, Annabeth couldn't help but worry about which ones Gaia did decide to pick up.  

And really, she insisted on so little- a store entrance must be underground so she can, ah, monitor my clientele; and a favor now and then. 

"Sssoooo, that means she knows they're there, right?" Connor gulped. "Please don't tell me Dirt Woman's going to make another reappearance."

"I hope not." Annabeth said. "'Cause now would be the worst time."

In exchange for a new life? Really, it was the best bargain I'd made in centuries."

Run, Piper thought. We have to get out of here.