Leo XLVII

"Leo XLVII," Hermes began.

Fly a helicopter? Sure, why not. Leo had done plenty of crazier things that week.

"That's probably about as normal as I'm going to get." Leo stated, tapping the pen on his leg.

"Normal's overrated." Connor told him.

The sun was going down as they flew north over the Richmond Bridge, 

Hera grimaced at that. Can't that helicopter go any faster?

and Leo couldn't believe the day had gone so quickly. Once again, nothing like ADHD and a good fight to the death to make time fly. 

"Tell me about," Percy said. "It's hard to believe we were just fighting the Titans earlier today and now we're here reading a book."

"I know, it feels so surreal." Annabeth agreed.

"How do you think I feel?" Leo asked. "One minute I was in the future, minding my own business, then bam! I got sent to the past and expected to read a couple books with you guys."

Piloting the chopper, he went back and forth between confidence and panic.

"Just relax." Jake told Leo. "It's better to get distracted than focus on what you're doing."

"Try thinking about something else." Nyssa suggested. "You could look out the window or try talking with your friends."

"This has to be the most bizarre driving advice I've ever heard." Percy blinked. "And I've seen Apollo give Thalia driving lessons."

"Don't remind me..." Thalia said, face going pale.

If he didn't think about it, he found himself automatically flipping the right switches, checking the altimeter, easing back on the stick, and flying straight.

Hephaestus smiled and nodded his head in approval.

If he allowed himself to consider what he was doing, he started freaking out. He imagined his Aunt Rosa yelling at him in Spanish, telling him he was a delinquent lunatic who was going to crash and burn.

The god of fire scowled. "That woman hardly ever knew what she was talking about. She only spoke because she liked the sound of her voice."

Leo couldn't help but grin at that. "You'd think so with the way she was always yelling."

Part of him suspected she was right.

"You'll be fine. You're a natural pilot." Hephaestus told him. "Close your eyes if you get too nervous."

"I can't believe I'm hearing this." Thalia deadpanned.

"Going okay?" Piper asked...She sounded more nervous than he was, so Leo put on a brave face.

"Aces," he said. "So what's the Wolf House?"

Jason knelt between their seats. "An abandoned mansion in the Sonoma Valley. A demigod built it—Jack London."

Mercury beamed in pride at the mention of his son before wincing and changing back to Hermes.

"Jack London was a demigod?" Annabeth said in surprise. "I never knew that!"

"That's because he's Roman." Hermes explained. "He's er..." the god winced. "The other guy's son."

Leo couldn't place the name. "He an actor?"