Leo XLI

"Leo XLI," Percy read.

Leo hoped the taxi could take them all the way to the top. No such luck.

"Even if it did, it would be too dangerous to bring a mortal there." Hestia said.

The cab made lurching, grinding sounds as it climbed the mountain road,

"Sounds like it has a transmission problem or a bad axle." Hephaestus noted.

and halfway up they found the ranger's station closed, a chain blocking the way.

"Far as I can go," the cabbie said. "You sure about this? Gonna be a long walk back, and my car's acting funny. I can't wait for you."

"We're sure." Leo was the first one out...

The wheels were sinking into the road like it was made of quicksand.

The demigods tensed.

And she's not even awake yet... Annabeth grimaced.

"Why would Gaea try to do that if they are directly going into a trap?" Percy asked warily.

"To slow them down." Hera said, crossing her arms. "Even if they somehow manage to save Piper's father and defeat Enceladus, it wouldn't matter if I'm not saved before the solstice."

...Leo's shoes were starting to sink. Gaea was messing with them.

While his friends got out, Leo paid the cabbie. He was generous—heck, why not? It was Aphrodite's money.

Aphrodite rolled her eyes. "I'm just going to pretend I didn't hear that..."

Plus, he had a feeling he might never be coming off this mountain.

"Don't say that, boy." Hephaestus stiffened.

"Sorry." Leo shrugged unapologetically. He reached into his toolbelt and pulled out a pair of pliers. He snapped the tool's jaw open and closed.

...The view from the mountain was pretty amazing. The whole inland valley around Mount Diablo was a patchwork of towns—grids of tree-lined streets and nice middle-class suburbs, shops, and these normal people living normal lives—the kind Leo had never known.

"Join the club." Percy said with an understanding sigh.

Poseidon winced.

"That's Concord," Jason said, pointing to the north. "Walnut Creek below us. To the south, Danville, past those that way ..."

He pointed west, where a ridge of golden hills held back a layer of fog, like the rim of a bowl. "That's the Berkeley Hills. The East Bay. Past that, San Francisco."

Thalia raised an eyebrow. "He's been here before?"

"It would make sense, he helped overthrow Kronos's throne at Mount Othrys." Percy reminded.

"Right, but he shouldn't know about the west that well..." Annabeth said, playing with her necklace. "He sounds too familiar with the place, it's like..."

The gods winced as her eyes widened in realization. 

"Wait..." she said slowly. Annabeth turned to them. "He's... The Romans... They live in California? Is that why you told us to stay away from the Bay Area?"