Piper XXXIV

"Piper XXXIV," Nyssa began.

"Wolves," Piper said. "They sound close."

Thalia mentally crossed her fingers and hoped for the best. It has to be their wolves, right? Who else could it be?

Leo pulled out a pair of pliers. He picked up a screw with the jaw and dropped it in his hand.

He lazily repeated the process.

Jason rose and summoned his sword. Leo and Coach Hedge got to their feet too. Piper tried, but black spots danced before her eyes.

Aphrodite, her children, Will worriedly frowned.

"Stay there," Jason told her. "We'll protect you."

She gritted her teeth. She hated feeling helpless. She didn't want anyone to protect her. First the stupid ankle. Now stupid hypothermia. She wanted to be on her feet, with her dagger in her hand.

"Don't do anything stupid," Will muttered. "It's better if you let the others handle this." Although Leo shouldn't be fighting either.

Then, just outside the firelight at the entrance of the cave, she saw a pair of red eyes glowing in dark.

Of course it wouldn't be us. Thalia sighed, she slouched a bit.

Okay, she thought. Maybe a little protection is fine.

"A little protection won't hurt anyone." Aphrodite agreed, her body tensing.

More wolves edged into the firelight—black beasts bigger than Great Danes... Their fangs gleamed, and their glowing red eyes looked disturbingly intelligent. The wolf in front was almost as tall as a horse, his mouth stained as if he'd just made a fresh kill.

A few readers shivered.

"What are those things? I don't think they live in the mountains." Katie shuddered.

Annabeth took in the description, her mind going a hundred miles a minute as she tried to figure out what Greek myth they were. They're obviously the wolves Hera was talking about. But who are they?

...Then Jason stepped forward and said something in Latin.

Percy frowned. "How did he know that they spoke Latin? Has he seen them before?"

"Maybe." Annabeth said. They can't be Lupa's wolves. They don't match the description. Maybe they're a rival pack?

Piper didn't think a dead language would have much effect on wild animals, but the alpha wolf curled his lip... One of his lieutenants tried to advance, but the alpha wolf snapped at his ear. Then all of the wolves backed into the dark.

"Wonder what he said?" Percy mused. It would be pretty handy to know for later.

...Hedge cursed. "Whatever it was, it wasn't enough. Look."

The wolves were coming back, but the alpha wolf wasn't with them. They didn't attack. They waited—at least a dozen now, in a rough semicircle just outside the firelight, blocking the cave exit.

"Guess they got no choice but to fight head-on." Ares smirked.

The coach hefted his club. "Here's the plan. I'll kill them all, and you guys escape."

"Escape how? They blocked the only exit!" Travis said. "Besides, he can't fight all those wolves alone! He'll get mauled."

Polishing his sword, Ares just smiled wider.